• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Golden runner!

Achen

okay, firstly, Ive got myself a Columbian Tegu which is around 7-9 months ish, its really quit relaxed and in the start it dosnt really care when i touch it, but if i touch it more then "onces" itll start biteing like crazy (wearing gloves so i dont really care...) anyway, shoud i just pick it up? hold it in my hand? or what shoud i do?

My biggest problem is, its fast.. ofc, and it isnt scared of jumping, So last time i took it up, it simply just ran up my shoulder and jumped Down the floor.. and ran, like ive never seen it run before!!

So my biggest concern is, if im takeing it out, itll run away, hide in some corner in the house or maybe escape, So do you Guys have any tips?

Tannaros

okay, firstly, Ive got myself a Columbian Tegu which is around 7-9 months ish, its really quit relaxed and in the start it dosnt really care when i touch it, but if i touch it more then "onces" itll start biteing like crazy (wearing gloves so i dont really care...) anyway, shoud i just pick it up? hold it in my hand? or what shoud i do?

My biggest problem is, its fast.. ofc, and it isnt scared of jumping, So last time i took it up, it simply just ran up my shoulder and jumped Down the floor.. and ran, like ive never seen it run before!!

So my biggest concern is, if im takeing it out, itll run away, hide in some corner in the house or maybe escape, So do you Guys have any tips?

http://tegutalk.com/threads/taming-the-beast.7703/

You should read that. Forced handling with intelligent, large reptiles isn't usually the best move to make.

KritterKeeper

My columbian will not tolerate being held or restrained, he likes to do his own thing. I used gloves in the beginning to get him out and id just take him in the bathroom (or any small-ish safe room where he cant escape) and sit on the floor and let him walk around and climb on me. Mine was nuts when i first got him and i think this really helped him get used to me. Ive had him for 10 months now(hes over 30") and he'll jump on me from his cage and climb up to my shoulder and i can put my hand on him to make him stay but if i try to grab onto him he still tries to take off. I think theyll always be really fast but working with him and getting him comfortable with you should make him less inclined to take off. I say just keep working with him, they also get better as they put on more size.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214