• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

green tree python or a green vine snake?

should I get a green tree python or a green vine snake

• Green Tree Python

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Green Vine Snake

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
Husbandry with the green vine snake might prove more tricky, and most sources recommend much larger space requirements than a GTP. Handling might be tough, force feeding (if needed) damn near impossible. Still they're just so damn *unique*, almost alien in appearance. Don't get me wrong, I love chondros (don't have one), they are beautiful, but they're still fairly common in collections.

I did a slack-jawed double-take the first time I saw a green vine and wondered if it was real. More trouble? yes. Worth it? IMO, yes.

One major problem: I wanted one, but forced myself to forget. Thanks. ;)

dorton

5 Year Member
I like both, but would probably get the GTP. There is alot of great info on moreliapythons.com. If you are looking for a display snake don't forget about amazon tree boas. They are another great arboreal snake and are available in all colors except green. If you ever decide to to breed, the livebirth is cool too.
Emerald tree boas are pretty wicked too.

maddogg9019

5 Year Member
Actually I've been looking at GTP's for a while now (and about 2 dozen other species of reptile :-D ) and have discovered that they are quite capable of taming down nicely. here is a nice link (not an advertisement) to a great caresheet.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.sprucenubblefarm.com/chondros/greentreepythoncaresheet_handling.php">http://www.sprucenubblefarm.com/chondro ... ndling.php</a><!-- m -->

Beazer

5 Year Member
I have worked with asian vine snakes and I work with gtp's. Asian vinesnakes require some good experience. My hat goes off to anybody who has kept asian vinesnakes alive and well for over a year. Gooooorgeous snakes and incredibly underrated, the vinesnakes are. But just too hard to keep alive and its not worth the loss of life. Gtps on the other hand. The care is made out to be as if its difficult or as if they are for advanced keepers. Maybe babies are somewhat "hard" but adults are so easy lol. They are great display animals but I wouldnt suggest handling them at all. They may seem calmed down on the outside but I imagine incredibly stressed on the inside. Even mean ones you can handle, they like to go up so if you know how to get them out, they will climb you if not striking at first lol. I had 2 wc Kofiau chondros "Canary yellow" and they werent too agressive at all. I regret trading them. Go with the chondro, it will be easier on you and a great display animal.

-Jon DeLong

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wish I could set up a beautiful vertical enclosure for a GTP with a beautiful color morph....I was just looking through last month's issue of Reptiles magazine, and they had a great pin-up of one of the morphs. GORGEOUS!!!

Nero

5 Year Member
Get a GTP I cant wait to get mine. I'm still doing some heavy research first before I purchase mine

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus