• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Greens

Gx3

5 Year Member
Hey what greens do you feed your tegus? Are there certain greens that are a good "staple" green (like to feed with meat on a daily basis)?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
With any animal, a varied and balance diet works best. Did you see this list? There are plenty of greens to try.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1353">http://tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1353</a><!-- m -->

Gx3

5 Year Member
Yea I saw the list, I was just curious if there is a green that is ok to feed regularly and keep on hand that tegus generally like to eat.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It might be a personal preference. You'll have to try different ones. You need to get some lizards that eat greens & squashes such as a Rhino Iguana or Cuban Rock Iguana. Then the stuff will never go to waste.

Our male Blue will eat anything you put in front of him. Last weekend our big Red turned his nose up at a bowl of fruit & greens. I brought it to the male Blue, cleaned his water bowl, and found the food gone when I got back. HOOVER!! Who said Blues only eat meat!! Then again our female Blue doesn't eat too much fruit or veggies.

Gx3

5 Year Member
Cool thanks a lot Dave. I'll give a bunch of stuff a try...but yea my snakes and amphibians don't eat to many greens hehe

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
I have fed greens, but most of mine prefer meat.
Yea, ours will eat some if it's mixed in but they like meat. They do like their fruit at times (blueberries, strawberries, grapes).

jacobsracing

5 Year Member
8 mo tegu

I have been attempting to introduce fruits and veg to my b&w. He is just not real interested. Muched on a little apple....muched on a little banana...

I feed him 3 fuzzies and 20 crickets alternating days. He has no problems eating. None! He even took a little nip at my hand last night when I removed the food bowl. I had been hand feeding until I read that it is a no no. I learned the hard way!

Anyhow....

is there a method of introducing the new foods? Mixing up lizzard kibble??

Thanks,

Greg

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Try blueberries or small pieces of strawberry mixed in with raw lean ground turkey. Ours like grapes (ripped in half) but they're mostly water. Our male Blue will sometimes pick the fruit out of the turkey and eat it first!! The rumor is Blues don't eat fruit!

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My other tegus won't eat greens, but I bet my red will. I'll have to try. he will pick the fruit out of the meat...weirdo!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu