• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Growing to fast!

Midori

5 Year Member
hello all!
i am mostly a lurker but i have ran into a small snag with my red tegu Ganon. he just won't stop growing lol. not a bad thing! just the skin on his tail is having a hard time keeping up. basiclly by the time he goes into shed his tail is still at a previous shedding. so he has a few layers of old skin on his tail and i don't know how to get it off.

is there anything i can do to help get the old sheds off?

i try to give him baths and soak the shedding. it does help a bit but not by much.

to give you can idea i got him the end of September and he was like 100 grams. now he's 760 and in shed NOW. it's like every other week he's shedding lol.

he eats a ton 4-5 fuzzies once a week, ground turkey every day and some scrabbled eggs. he's alittle tank!

i just him a reptile UV bulb and now i am afraid i might wake up tomorrow to a monster lol a hungry one!

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The tails on tegus are usually the last thing to shed, it is not unusual to see them retain shed on the tail, just make sure that the shed is not ringing the tail and cutting off the blood flow. This is seen by the end of the tail swelling and change in the color of the tail. Keep the humidity up and start feeding beef liver and cod liver oil at least once a week. The problem should work its way out within a few weeks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu