• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Growth?

Crisis

I wrote thinking that you thought it was not normal.

3 ft at one yr old is perfectly normal. Some, particularly males, will be a little bigger.
Oh thank goodness... I would hate to think something was wrong with Delta (my tegu) he seems to be male. Has two large (feels like beeds) on either side of the base of his tail and also he got very... Aggressive? I guess during the breeding season after he brumated. How long does it take for them to really start filling out?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
First birthday at 3 ft they hit puberty.

You will see him get a little longer and much heavier (different from fat) with big jowl development a few months thereafter. By 2 yrs old, he'll be looking like a bull in his pasture. Not so good a pic, but that's Oscar laying flat. He's just over 2 yrs old and 18 lbs. his jowls are bigger than you can see. He's friendly but not affectionate. Snowflake, behind him, is genuinely affectionate.
image.jpeg

Crisis

First birthday at 3 ft they hit puberty.

You will see him get a little longer and much heavier (different from fat) with big jowl development a few months thereafter. By 2 yrs old, he'll be looking like a bull in his pasture. Not so good a pic, but that's Oscar laying flat. He's just over 2 yrs old and 18 lbs. his jowls are bigger than you can see. He's friendly but not affectionate. Snowflake, behind him, is genuinely affectionate.View attachment 10763
Wow! And how big is he in length?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You know, I don't know. Once, he was 40". I'll have to measure him for you.

You have a nice lizard. They are a fun species.

Crisis

You know, I don't know. Once, he was 40". I'll have to measure him for you.

You have a nice lizard. They are a fun species.
Thank you! And they really are. A lot of people describe them as lazy lizards and he really is not... I've never seen a more active reptile haha

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu