• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Halogen Floodlights

Oddball

5 Year Member
hmmm.......i'll have to look into it then..... >=] but i do know that they don't put out full spectrum light, so supplemental lights wold be necessary....DAMN YOU GEORGE BUSH AND YOU'RE FINAL CURSE OF A GREAT DEPRESSION YOU'LL BE SENDING OUR ECONOMY INTO SOON UNLESS OBAMA CAN BE SUPER-JESUS-LIKE AND TURN WATER INTO MONEY! (you gotta admit, that would be totally awesome)

lotsareps

5 Year Member
Oddball said:
hmmm.......i'll have to look into it then..... >=] but i do know that they don't put out full spectrum light, so supplemental lights wold be necessary....xxxx YOU GEORGE BUSH AND YOU'RE FINAL CURSE OF A GREAT DEPRESSION YOU'LL BE SENDING OUR ECONOMY INTO SOON UNLESS OBAMA CAN BE SUPER-JESUS-LIKE AND TURN WATER INTO MONEY! (you gotta admit, that would be totally awesome)

*facepalm*
was that really necessary? you could stay on topic

anywho. the only reason why i'm iffy on halogen is i'm told they use more electricity

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
the only reason why i'm iffy on halogen is i'm told they use more electricity
Watts are watts. A 75W halogen must put out twice as much heat as a 75W incandescent.

The watt (symbol: W) is the SI derived unit of power, equal to one joule of energy per second. It measures a rate of energy conversion.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
anyone know if you can get a halogen with a red bulb? i just got 3 tokays, and have a 100watt purple incandescent. that bulb produces allmost no light, and the heat is laughable as well. i want to see what they're doing, last night (their 1st night in the tank) one of em was massaging the base of the others tail with its foot pads. it looked so damn funny, but i could barely see it cause the damn purple light is so dark.

can i paint a halogen with a clearish acrylic red? if i did would it still be ok as a light that won't disturb them? or would the plastic paint give off fumes? most liklely ehh? are the red incandescents brighter? the purple one sucks.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The halogen bulbs are extremely hot, I'd think it would burn off the paint. The purple bulbs we have give off enough light for us to see our critters, but don't keep us up at night.

lotsareps

5 Year Member
if i had my own house i'd use halogen flood lights. i'm just worried about the extra cost of electricity.

would infared bulbs work well too?
i rarely used them but i'm told they're great for producing heat (i don't know how well they'd be for basking spots for monitor lizards though)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lotsareps said:
if i had my own house i'd use halogen flood lights. i'm just worried about the extra cost of electricity.

would infared bulbs work well too?
i rarely used them but i'm told they're great for producing heat (i don't know how well they'd be for basking spots for monitor lizards though)
Where did you get the idea halogens use extra electricity?? You pay for the amount of watts used. A 75W incandescent uses the same amount of electricity as a 75W halogen except the halogen puts out more heat and a brighter light. Halogens last twice as long as incandescents. 75W is normally 2000 hours. I've found GE makes some that last 6000 hours! Here's some good reading. It says halogens are 10% to 20% more efficient than incandescent (light output I assume).

http://www.rd.com/18268/article18268.html

Infrared bulbs are normally high wattage. I don't know how much heat they put out per watt compared to halogen. I'd guess less since I think they are based on incandescent filaments.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced