• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hatchling Attitude

Kym123089

That makes sense, I wanted to check it out, I've got a while before Donatello will be ready since he is hiding from me currently lol. He is upset from being shipped.

larissalurid

SnakeCharmr728 said:
I have a hybrid hatchling from Laurafl and shes been a real difficult one to tame... We've had her about 3wks now and boy does she have an attitude....
she tail whips, squirms, she huffs and puffs, poops on you, and even tries to bite. we've been doing the sweatshirt trick (tying a belt around around your waist on the outside of a sweatshirt so they dont fall through and putting them inside to bond) but no luck... have been having to feed in the cage because getting her out is incredibly difficult and breaks all trust because we literally would have to chase her down and grab her all while shes thrashing to get away....
we've been trying to the gentle approach because i dont want her to feel like we are a threat.... herding her into a corner makes her literally whip and charge us with an open mouth... ive never seen such a grumpy baby lol once we do have her we aren't "holding" her just letting her go from one hand to another which she basically just runs and takes off but we've been doing in a bathroom so she cant go far... also tried the bathtub trick... it works while shes in the water as soon as she comes out she transforms into evil tegu again... poor girl i know shes just scared, typical of any baby... im wonderng if we should just keep workin at it getting her out or let her be until shes a little bit older and gets a little more size to her and only do hands in the cage... i feel like we are totally breakng her trust but even if our hand is in the cage and we arent even chasing her shes huffing and literally will charge at us...
we've literally tried ALL suggestions on both tegu forums about taming, and now ive come to the conclusion that its just about age, time and individual personalities... my b/w was never like this.. lol
BUT WE LOVE HER ANYWAYS!

This sounds just like mine (extreme who ive had 3 weeks), he has charged, and i tried once to pick him up (as in have him walk onto my hand not like grab him) and he would tail whip and run away. since then ive only gotten him to lick my hand then walk away and i can get pretty close to him since ive been putting my hand in daily. i have to feed him in cage and make sure to cut his food into bite sized pieces so he doesnt drag any onto the substrate. ive tried going near him with a sweatshirt over my hand and hes still scared, i just hope eventually he lets me pet him X_X i just feel like if i grab him to come out i will lose a ton of trust (not like theres much to begin with) and be back at square one >.<

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980