• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Having some trouble

Giovanni

I've had my tegu Marty for about two or three weeks and I'm still having trouble getting him to open up to me. I pet him in his cage all the time and when I go to pick him up he gets worked up and it gets hard to hold him but he likes being in my sweatshirt. Recently he's starting to get more angry he's hissing at me and thinks my fingers are food. Is there anything else I can do? I see all these stories about how tame and how they crave attention but mine , not so much

bfb345

feed outside of the cage in a designated feeding tub and do not let him see you with food after handling the food wash your hands well and pick him up handle him a bit until he calms down then place him in the bin and when you are in his cage dont just handle him mess around with stuff in the cage move stuff clean stuff and take a shirt(or other article of clothing not your tightey whiteys) that you have worn and place it in his hide and if he likes being in your sweatshirt let him be in it he will soon become acustomed to your smell and associate you with warmth and comfort and not food

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Keep working with him, it takes time, each ones different but still more than two or three weeks. With all the threads you see about tame reptiles, more often than not they didn't start out that way and someone put in quite a lot of time and care needed to get it to that point.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu