• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

head or depth of substrate matter in baby hibernating?

adam1120

does heat or depth of the substrate matter on if the baby arg b/w tegu hibernates or not? ive seen people with lil substrate and seem people with alot. and also does the temp matter if i put an extra bask spot to heat up the enclosure more will it matter? i live in texas too so outside is never cold lol eff global warming:p

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
During hibernation,your lights are completely off,i read some people will turn them on for two hours a day though, but there is no need for an extra bulb. If things are too hot and the tegu is hibernating the metabolism will not slow down and he will literally starve too death in his sleep.

I would sat at least 4-6 inches is needed,because when they hibernate they digg burrows and sleep under there,and if theres not enough substrate then i figure it would be pretty stressful. I plan to go by a pretty average rule when it comes to substrate,you measure your tegu girth and put twice as much substrate as the width of the girth.

I'm no expert so take what i say with a grain of salt,i don't even have my tegu yet. But i have been doing a lot of research the pass few months and this is what i read.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Strange Evil has it right. You want enough subtrate so he can burrow down pretty good. No heat/lights are needed. You may want to mist the subtrate to keep the humidity up, unless your humidity stays up around 60% on its own.

adam1120

Strange_Evil said:
During hibernation,your lights are completely off,i read some people will turn them on for two hours a day though, but there is no need for an extra bulb. If things are too hot and the tegu is hibernating the metabolism will not slow down and he will literally starve too death in his sleep.

I would sat at least 4-6 inches is needed,because when they hibernate they digg burrows and sleep under there,and if theres not enough substrate then i figure it would be pretty stressful. I plan to go by a pretty average rule when it comes to substrate,you measure your tegu girth and put twice as much substrate as the width of the girth.

I'm no expert so take what i say with a grain of salt,i don't even have my tegu yet. But i have been doing a lot of research the pass few months and this is what i read.

well i know how much subsrate to put im asking if matter if its hibernates i use like 8 inches for my colmbian and am gunna use around 1ft of sand/soil cpryess mulch ima keep a fogger in there daily and but i seen some people not put alot of subsrate and im asking if it stop them from hibernating and the heat im building a 8x3x3 and you think two basking spot will over heat the tank?and if his metabolism doesnt slow down they he wont slow down which means he wont hibernate am i correct ? im not starting a fight just intrested

i read that not sound mean it sounds like it but im not sorry strange evil:D

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
From my understanding, you can't stop them from hibernating. You could make it unsafe for them if they are trying to hibernate and you don't accomodate them (like keeping no substrate or not enough, keeping it hot/warm). 1' is probably not needed but you can make it 1' in some spots and less in others to create hills and such. One basking spot should be plenty in a cage that size, mine is 8x3.5x3 and I only have one and the temps are good.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If a tegu wants to hibernate it will do so no matter what you do, its best to decrease the lighting and let the tegu decide what it wants to do, trying to force your tegu to stay up could seriously stress the tegu and cause other complications, substrate should be deep enough to commpletely cover the tegu, baby tegus will burrow under the substrate pretty much daily but older tegus rarely if ever burrow just use their hideswhich is probably why people use different levels of substrate

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
adam1120 said:
Strange_Evil said:

well i know how much subsrate to put im asking if matter if its hibernates i use like 8 inches for my colmbian and am gunna use around 1ft of sand/soil cpryess mulch ima keep a fogger in there daily and but i seen some people not put alot of subsrate and im asking if it stop them from hibernating and the heat im building a 8x3x3 and you think two basking spot will over heat the tank?and if his metabolism doesnt slow down they he wont slow down which means he wont hibernate am i correct ? im not starting a fight just intrested

i read that not sound mean it sounds like it but im not sorry strange evil:D

We'll depending on what wattage bulb you use and what kind of bulb,one bulb could be enough to get it hot enough. And like you said,its always hot we're your at and room temps play a big role on enclosure temps so you won't need a really high wattage bulb,a 160watt would do it.

And if a tegu wants to hibernate there is no changing its mind, whether the temps are 105 or not,its more of a natural instinct thing. (I.E a import tegu kept indoor will hibernate over the summer when its still hot,because where its from,things are cooling down and its time for them to hibernate over there). And if its still warm,then obviously things will not completely slow down.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Strange Evil.. I think he meant to say "I read that not sound mean it sounds like it but im not. Sorry"

adam1120

iim gettin a varnyard baby so i wont have that problem:D and in my room its usually aroudn 77 pretty cool so needheat in closure more if anything:D

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You won't need more heat. My house is kept at 76-78 and the one 160 MVB is plenty.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu