• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Healthy?

Skipperii

I got my red tegu last Wednesday, and it has rarely if at all eaten. It just stays inside its hide almost all the time. Is this normal?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is hard to say this time of year. Is it diet/lighting, brumation, health, or stress related. Tell us more about your set up and the background of the lizard and people can better answer your question.

Skipperii

laurarfl said:
It is hard to say this time of year. Is it diet/lighting, brumation, health, or stress related. Tell us more about your set up and the background of the lizard and people can better answer your question.

I got him from a exotic reptile store called prehistoric pets last Thursday. He's still a baby so I don't know what sex he's is. I house him in a 20 gallon tank and the substrate is this alfalfa pellet designed for tegus and other reptiles. He has a large water bowl a food bowl and a hide. As of right now the hot side is 100 degrees and the cold side is 78. Humidity is 33 %. I've tried feeding him hard boiled eggs with no success. Today I went back to the store to try to find a solution and they told me to put a heating pad under the hide and not to worry until there is any noticeable weight loss. He has 100 watt basking lamp a 5.0 UVB compact fluorescent bulb from reptisun, and 150 watt red heat light plus as already mentioned a heat wave heating pad. I've only seen him outside his hide when I've taking him out and tried fix his cage then he lies out in the basking lamp for a little bit

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I need to get off the computer, so this is a short, fast post. The compact bulb might not be a good fit for him. Some people have had issues with eye problems. The humidity needs to be 70% and can be helped by changing the substrate to a cypress mulch (less drying). It is awfully early to have hatchling age babies here, so it sounds like an import or left from last year's clutch. If he is captive bred, he may be trying to hibernate. He may also be stressed from the move. Give him a day or two and see if he will eat again. Try ground turkey, F/T pinkies with calcium added to each meal that doesn't have bones.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Skipperii said:
Whats the possibility of eye problems coming from a fluorescent coil UVB bulb?

From what I have read, the possibilities are pretty high.

Skipperii

So Ive gotten the mulch and the temperatures right, I even put in some spaghnum moss and he still won't eat he just sits in his hide all day. I've tried pinkie mice, chicken breasts grounded turkey hard boiled eggs and still nothing!! Sorry if I'm anoying anybody I'm just worried that something is wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hweikel