• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Heavy Breathing and taming down stressed Tegu

CmoneyAA

Quick question on handling. I have decided this week ( my 3rd week of having my Tegu) I will actively try and take my tegu out to feed him in his bin and bath him. My only issue is he stresses whenever I start to lift his screen only thing he does is breath very heavy and back up slowly if I try to pet him. I have been trying ( if he's out of his hide ) to work in his cage and around it and pet his head. He breathes heavily when I pet the top and doesn't really when I pet under his chin. My main question is should I still try and pick up and pet him if he's breathing hard and backing up ? I feel like if I stop this technique he will never get used to me but I also don't want to be stressing him out to the point he hates me.

HELP ! :)

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It takes time for them to come around and get use to being approached from above since it's something predators do. Just keep working with him.

Exactly they do not like being reached down on. If its a young Tegu understand that you are super huge and scary. Talk to him/her while your petting they really have to learn you are a good thing not a threat. Watch behavior tail wiggling like a snake means hey buddy I might bite. Other behaviors like back arching and hissing are signs of irritation. I have a male that hisses and back arches when you pet him but doesn't bite. Trust is key in my opinion, takes time but well worth it. Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu