• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello everyone

TripleTegus

I would presume like any other animal I've en counted as long as the females get along in the first place they should be fine the whole year through except for the odd squabble that is understandable with any animal.
Yes of course as always the health and safety of the animals is first and foremost

Last edited:

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
AlphaAlpha and Walter1 helped me through the late spring attack (last year) that my male was imposing on my young female. He went into season, and started attacking her and was clearly going to hurt her because of the size difference and his obvious strength. It was a scary moment! She came away uninjured - and I was grateful for their help - because I hadn't done my homework on that! Didn't see it coming at all.

I have no knowledge about multiple males, but Walter1 does have a couple boys that are housed together and (correct me if I'm wrong) I think he told me they just hang out and it isn't a thing. I think he also has them in an area (patio?), where they can move away from each other.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
AlphaAlpha and Walter1 helped me through the late spring attack (last year) that my male was imposing on my young female. He went into season, and started attacking her and was clearly going to hurt her because of the size difference and his obvious strength. It was a scary moment! She came away uninjured - and I was grateful for their help - because I hadn't done my homework on that! Didn't see it coming at all.

I have no knowledge about multiple males, but Walter1 does have a couple boys that are housed together and (correct me if I'm wrong) I think he told me they just hang out and it isn't a thing. I think he also has them in an area (patio?), where they can move away from each other.
Exactly. Mine are outdoors midApril tto mid-October. Mixed sexes and adults. No agression. Rodney of tegusonly has large groups of males and females together. No sign of aggression among them. I wonder if male-male fighting is associated with low densities in the wild. Or perhaps a tyrant system where one male gets all the females, the rest being subordinate. The tyrant system would be my bet.

However, in a group a mated female will either not nest from stress of others nearby or will become highly aggressive toward them as she defends a nest site.

TripleTegus

Yeah that whole breeding process sounds like it gets out of hand a little. I was thinking I would have to separate the male. I still haven't really decided how I wanna go about everything. I've got a few ideas for sure. I'm glad everything worked out for u in the end debita sounded like a scary moment indeed. And I would hate for something bad to happen.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yeah that whole breeding process sounds like it gets out of hand a little. I was thinking I would have to separate the male. I still haven't really decided how I wanna go about everything. I've got a few ideas for sure. I'm glad everything worked out for u in the end debita sounded like a scary moment indeed. And I would hate for something bad to happen.

Yeah, and I don't think it's years of madness, just a few seasons of seperation.... I hope. I'm glad I caught it, because I had very little warning. There was quite a clatter from his advances toward her, and she looked like a mouse next to a python.

TripleTegus

Yeah, and I don't think it's years of madness, just a few seasons of seperation.... I hope. I'm glad I caught it, because I had very little warning. There was quite a clatter from his advances toward her, and she looked like a mouse next to a python.
Yes hopefully that is the case, but if they need to be separated then so be it. I'm sure that big beast of yours made quite the commotion trying to prove he's big and bad. Enough to scare anyone probably.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Yes hopefully that is the case, but if they need to be separated then so be it. I'm sure that big beast of yours made quite the commotion trying to prove he's big and bad. Enough to scare anyone probably.

Yeah! He was looking at me like...."what are you doing here?" I wasn't sure what he was going to do - be aggressive or back off. He just collected himself and I pulled the female away quickly because I don't think he was going to let go of his intententions.

Such a ladies man

TripleTegus

No
Yeah! He was looking at me like...."what are you doing here?" I wasn't sure what he was going to do - be aggressive or back off. He just collected himself and I pulled the female away quickly because I don't think he was going to let go of his intententions.

Such a ladies man
No he probably wasn't. Not many things do when animal instinct kicks in on that aspect. At least you were quick in your actions. But I'm sure your female would hold her own if it came down to it.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
No

No he probably wasn't. Not many things do when animal instinct kicks in on that aspect. At least you were quick in your actions. But I'm sure your female would hold her own if it came down to it.

Wellllllll - I really think she would have gotten hurt. She is so much smaller than him still - but getting there! I'm getting a really cool custom home built for them in a corner of my house, so there will be a lot more room. Recently we purchased a 2nd home in Prescott, Az (another cold mountain area) and I'll have more room to put the 2 with better gradient heat, etc. Very excited!

TripleTegus

Wellllllll - I really think she would have gotten hurt. She is so much smaller than him still - but getting there! I'm getting a really cool custom home built for them in a corner of my house, so there will be a lot more room. Recently we purchased a 2nd home in Prescott, Az (another cold mountain area) and I'll have more room to put the 2 with better gradient heat, etc. Very excited!
Well congrats that sounds really awesome. Your gonna have to post some pictures when it's done.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kam