• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hi, new to the forums.

KTLExotics

Hi, I'm new to the forums. I'm kurtis, I'm from a small town by Winnipeg Manitoba Canada.

Just got my first tegu on Thursday, it is a B/W argentine. I had to wait good month and a half waiting for the weather to get nice to have it shipped to me but well worth the wait, I love him/her. I'm hoping for a male so his name is lucifer it it's a female I'll have to figure that one out.

I'll be finishing building it a 2x2x4 melamine enclosure tomorrow then sealing it with some aquarium sealant, I would have it finished today and ready to seal/cure but I got too small of screws lol.

Anyways here is a few pics of the little one, I haven't taken too many pictures of him as I want to give him some time to adjust to his new home so the only time he sees me is when I change his water or spray his enclosure. (He was brumating before he left the breeders so I haven't began offering him food yet. I can't safely drop the temps low enough so sadly this year his sleep will have to be cut a bit short)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forums. He/she is a nice looking tegu. If its a female I would recommend the name Lilith. (going with the biblical theme)

Michael Soto

Welcome, very nice looking tegu, the only thing is a 2x2x4 wont be big enough for him/her once he/she gets full grown. you'll need to upgrade to at least a 7x3x3 (what i have for my colombian) or bigger since your tegu can get up to 4 foot.

KTLExotics

image.jpg
Hello and welcome to the forums. He/she is a nice looking tegu. If its a female I would recommend the name Lilith. (going with the biblical theme)

Thank-you, that is actually a good name I will consider.

Welcome, very nice looking tegu, the only thing is a 2x2x4 wont be big enough for him/her once he/she gets full grown. you'll need to upgrade to at least a 7x3x3 (what i have for my colombian) or bigger since your tegu can get up to 4 foot.

Thank-you also, and yea I know I was planning either a 8x4 or 10x4 once hes a little bigger. Once he gets a bit bigger and out grows this enclosure I'll use this one to house another.

Here's a photos of his enclosure built. tonight I'll be able to set it up for him as I was waiting on the aquarium sealer to cure. It's been 3 days now and no longer smells. I'll get a few more once I set it up.

I cut the 2 pieces on the top a half inch too short haha. As I was drawing out some rough blue prints my kids were running around yelling so I was a bit pre occupied but meh what do you do. And that small piece connecting them together is slightly raised out as i didn't have enough out of the sheet and bit of 1/2 inch melamine I had left so I used an old 5/8th shelf I had. I'm not too worried as once I get a little more money I'll be building a snake rack in the very near future anyways and I'll make the repairs then.

There is also an inch gap on each side for a bit extra air flow that has since been screened. If I made the whole top screen I would never be able to keep the humidity up but I didn't like the fact that the only air was going to come from that one section so I left a bit of a gap on each side to help with air exchange

Last edited:

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you're already getting some good info. Your tegu is a beaut!

Michael Soto

Nice, you look like u got everything set for now and future. sweet set up. dont worry about ur little gaps they might help with air flow. just keep an eye on ur humidity and temp and make ur changes as needed.

KTLExotics

Just wanted to post an update photo of my argentine. He/she is growing like a weed. He finally decided to stop brumating around the middle of March and here he is now.

First pic is when I first got him
Second is from yesterday while I was feeding him some roaches there was a quarter beside him when I took it so u can use that as size comp

I never feed outside the enclosure unless it's roaches for some reason he runs off with a roach when I give it to humans gives me this look like I want to steal it but then he try's to eat it on his coco husk and he will drop it and grab a mouth full of shavings so I feed him them on my floor lol

Enjoy
image.jpg
image.jpg

KTLExotics

Lol yea it was sitting under the light for a while so it was nice and warm it's his thermometer/hygrometer I have it hanging on the wall but it fell over and I guess he likes the heat plus it got him closer to his light I'll post a picture of him next to it as a better size comparison he outgrew his rock a while ago but the garden centres are just opening now so I plan on getting some bricks for a pad to bask on

image.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu