• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernate help me

G

If he is sleeping all the time you can use less light . and reduce temps at night to 70 degrees .. Offer him food if he comes out and basks ... When you see him out more increase the light hours and heat ..

eddyjack

I have been told that when they disapear to shut lights off and just leave water in for them and watch but nothing else unless you see them out. Should the lights be left on even if they have not been seen for days?

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I personally offer 2~3 hours of UVB all year long. This way if they wake up needing to bask in UVB it's available, as I do not check on him frequently when he's hibernating... I acknowledge the UVB has absolutely no benefit unless the Tegu wakes up and basks.

Dehydration within the hibernation enclosure can be a concern. I wet the hibernation hide every other week or so just to ensure it stays moist. I use water that is 60*~70*F as I do not want to cool them off, yet I do not want to 'wake up' their metabolism.

My over-winter temperatures are simply room temperature in my home, which is in the mid to upper 70s (daytime) and no colder than the upper 60s at night. The cooler the temperatures the more the metabolism will slow down, but naturally to cold will be a problem.

My best advise though is to let your Tegu tell you what it needs. When it is active, give it parameters to be active. When it is resting give it parameters to sleep.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu