• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Home Made Incubator

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When we got our Blue Tegu's together and were expecting eggs I called Bobby and asked how to use a Hobivator to incubate the eggs. He said not to use that piece of junk and I could build a much better one using a Coleman cooler, some plastic shoe boxes, (2) 25W bulbs and a thermostat.

We found an Igloo Polar 120 Qt cooler (Wal-Mart - about $80) that just fit (4) Sterlite shoe box size tubs (don't remember the size). I had an old 2 bulb light fixture and a couple of 25W blue "party" bulbs (Wal-Mart - less than $3 each), a ZooMed 500R thermostat and an Accu-Rite digital indoor/outdoor thermometer/humidity meter (Wal-Mart about $11). The hardest thing to find was the Perlite and Vermiculite, all the Perlite we found had fertilizer in them. I finally found it at a local Feed store (Shultz brand). A small 8 Qt bag of each is more than enough to use with (4) bins.

IMG_1205_.jpg

IMG_1207_.jpg

IMG_1206_.jpg

IMG_1212_.jpg

I used Bobby's "Incubation and Hatching" Sticky, except the Perlite/Vermiculite/Water should be measured by weight, not volume. http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=181

I cut the wires for the lights, inserted them with the thermostat probe into a hole in the top of the cooler, and reconnected them, paying close attention to polarity of the wires, and taping them securely.

IMG_1208_.jpg

I taped the thermostat probe to the bottom of the cooler between the 2 middle bins. The thermometer probe in in the substrate in one of the bins.

IMG_1210_.jpg

Close the top and adjust the thermostat until the "outside" remote probe (thermometer) reads about 89 degrees consistently. It might take a few hours for it to settle.

The final incubator.

IMG_1204_.jpg

IMG_1027_.jpg

Eggs.

IMG_1021_.jpg

chris allen

5 Year Member
If you plan on producing more eggs, or eggs that require similar temps, I built an incubator out of a standup freezer(3/4 size). I gutted, put in wire shelves, ceramic fixture at the bottom wired to a thermostat and it works great. I drilled maybe 4 1/4" holes in the two sides and have never had a problem with eggs. I started using this probably back in around 2000 or 2001. You can find broken/old fridges/freezers for free or cheap and they are perfect to use.

The cooler is a very cool idea.

I would really like to build a custom incubator with different levels for different temps and see through doors....maybe one day! LOL

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know Bobby has a converted freezer as his incubator. Mine is good enough for 1 or 2 clutches. See through doors would be interesting!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu