• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how do you like to feed?

gotherps?

5 Year Member
i just got a one month old sav and i had a few questions about feeding. how many people feed inside the enclosure and how many take thier monitor out for feeding time? i know the 2 main reasons for taking the animal out for feeding are to lessen the chance of impaction and to hopefully lessen potential violent feeding responses. ive got it on a 80% cyprus/20% sand mixture and i dont think impaction will be a problem with the size of the mulch pieces. i was more curious about whether people who feed in the enclosure have problems with aggressive animals. what works best for you? ive tried feeding him in a seperate tub but he is just too distracted to feed. i have that problem with my gold tegu as well. when i take him out to feed he is too busy doing other things to worry about eating so i feed him inside his enclosure now. let me know what you do

Kazzy

5 Year Member
I don't have any savs at home, but my co-worked took care of feeding for about a week, and he just tosses the food in. Well, now I can't handle either one. The bigger one actually latched onto my thumb the other day. Savs have a HUGE feeding response, so I'd suggest feeding outside the enclosure.

angelrose

5 Year Member
hi gotherps?, only because of the experience I have with my sav I am saying this ...feed him with tongs.
because they have such a great feeding response I don't pick him up to place him in another bin because he will go for anything that moves when he is hungry.
I also have a mix of top soil and sand mix substrate.

dicy

5 Year Member
i dont have savs but i feed evrything in the cage here and i personaly think impaction is only a problem in unhealthy animals i mean in the wild they dont eat from a sterile plate dont they? :D
but to play save u could feed from a tong ore pliers but its verry time taking whit bugs that they do need to eat to

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu