• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How to get your Tegu to eat Fruit

Taydeon

5 Year Member
Its really simple.... my tegu eats bananas like they are mice but she doesnt seem to take to other fruit so well..... so i came up with a simple solution...i cut the strawberry or melon into a semi small piece and i roll it into the ground turkey or chicken in a small ball and after about 8-10 balls(depends on your tegu size) i put it on her plate....and she eats them all with no problem....i also had my friend try it and it worked for his as well so if you are having problems with your tegu eating fruit you should try this and see if it works for you ...and give me feedback please so i can figure out another method

Bubba

5 Year Member
My black and white tegu love raw eggs. Cut small pieces of fruit and placed them inside an egg, do this a few times and then give your tegu the fruit by itself.
Let me know how it worked out.

tupinambis

5 Year Member
Infertile or fertile eggs may harbor Salmonella, and the Salmonella is on the outside of the egg (think of where the egg comes from biologically). Cleaning the egg properly will help just as well. But the other reason to cook the egg is to denature the avidin in the egg white.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tupinambis said:
Infertile or fertile eggs may harbor Salmonella, and the Salmonella is on the outside of the egg (think of where the egg comes from biologically). Cleaning the egg properly will help just as well. But the other reason to cook the egg is to denature the avidin in the egg white.
Thanks. I thought I had read there was a reason for cooking the inside but couldn't remember why.

leoares27

5 Year Member
I also use the ground turkey/cut up fruits/veggie mix...when u first try it, use a very small amount of fruit or veggie, maybe start with a sweeter one...that way, the turkey smell will be more prominent. Work your way up until he/she eats the stuff by itself...maybe :)
That is what i had to do with bones...smart lil guys lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu