• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Howdy y'all from Lorelei and Guinevere!

RevLorelei

I have kept reptiles for most of my life, but today I bought my first Argentinian tegu, from the Lubbock Texas Repticon. I will be mostly reading and learning for a bit. Thanks for having us.

RevLorelei

Abilene. The vendor I got Guine from is in El Paso. He never feeds them live animals, or whole animals I should say. That was one of many charms of getting her. I used to have snakes, don't anymore, don't want to mess with rodents, etc... They gave me a recipe for a zoo loaf; of ground turkey, papaya mango and other fruits if desired, plus calcium vitamin powder. He also uses eggs and feeder insects. His animals are gorgeous and healthy. I did read the 5 pgs of food recommendations, but didn't see this addressed. Is it really important to feed live or whole food if the diet is otherwise balanced?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It is not important to live food, and I have always preferred to feed frozen thawed when it came to rodents. Rodents provide for quite a good deal of calcium when fed and I incorporated it into my tegus diets in all cases. A varied diet is always great, and you're definitely providing that. If you added whole prey (rodents, chics, quail, etc.), it would only do more good.

I've seen many people exclude whole prey from their tegus' diets without any down sides, I just always preferred to include it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu