• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I got bit today!!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So I recently moved my Tegu into his adult enclosure. I haven't been bothering him too much, just feeding, spot cleaning and making sure temps are good. Earlier today I was standing near his cage and he came charging the glass, flicking his tongue like crazy. Later on I opened the door to clean some poop and he came towards my hand and when he got close he bit me. Didn't hurt but startled me. Now he runs and hides everytime I get close. Before I moved him I would say he was just about puppy dog tame. Is this just from moving into a new place or some other problem????

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
More than likely i would just say he is probably just a Lil startled by the move and being in an unfamiliar territory

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
reptastic said:
More than likely i would just say he is probably just a Lil startled by the move and being in an unfamiliar territory

i sure hope so. I don't want to get bit by him when he gets any bigger.

Orion

5 Year Member
There are probably many factors that go into this. The new cage, soundings etc. But as your Tegu gets older and bigger sometimes they get more aggressive and even go through some people call "Tegu puberty" and start pushing the boundaries. My Yoshi was that way over the winter, she went after my hands whenever I was in the cage, even spot cleaning. I learned to just stop, and not pull away when she would charge at my hand. I was scared at first but she never actually bit me. The next thing was I started feeding her more, I found if I offered food more times during the day she was calmer, kind of like a child...they can get cranky if they are hungry. After a couple of weeks it went away. My 2 cents, hope it helps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu