• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I need guidance with my tegu!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Neat. I've been through McKees Port. By Pittsburgh. Many Scotts-Irish that side of PA.

Leezard

5 Year Member
Hey guys! I know that this is super late on this thread but our two year old arg b&w male tegu has gone a year now without shedding and after a failed blood draw at the vet (not enough blood reaching the needle) we don't know his vitamin levels. But based on his super picky diet which he likes to keep vegetable and fruit free if he can help it, I assume he's low on vitamin A and B and omega 3 fatty acids so we add fish oil to each meal and vitamin B once a week with his one mouse/chick. What we experienced the first time using regular (vitamin B- complex) not the super b complex and have seen little difference other than he got really backed up for almost 2 weeks. I thought maybe I had given him too much and caused constipation? We got some Betadine from our exotic vet as she suggested using that once a week and daily baths. We've had no progress and can very rarely sneak fruit/veggies in his food successfully. Any suggestions on brands of vitamins and dosage would be amazing!!! Also if anyone has any links to reliable information regarding Betadine for reptile sheds that'd be awesome! I feel less confident about using an antiseptic for shed when it's usually used for injuries, which he does not have. Thank you:)

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Boy, I wish I knew the answer to that question. I've been using the Super B Complex to assist in the sheds, but have had no luck. Both of my Tegus are holding their sheds on their tails. So clearly, I'm doing something wrong. I don't think it's diet - my female will eat anything, but my male is very meat...and more meat guy. I supplement vitamins and calcium and fish oil. I do baths, and have tried different oils. No difference. Haven't tried Betadine....haven't heard about that yet. Starting to get a little nervous about the shed issue. Their humidity is good....don't know what I'm doing wrong.

My female did shed after the Vit B complex, but now it shows a good bit left on her tail

Leezard

5 Year Member
Ugh yeah that's where I'm at too! I know it's gotta be his diet because he is so picky about liver and fruits /veggies for my guy at least. That's so strange that you're having the same issue! Bilbo has an affinity for turkey and fish so we feed him a LOT of fish and his humidity is 75-80% controlled by his hygrotherm. I'll keep you updated if I find something that works!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I wonder if moisture hide and LOTS of fish oil is warranted,

rantology

Darrow had a great shed a month or so ago. But this time he's also had the tail part on for over a week... he gets regular vit. B complex o_O

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I'll try more moisture in the hide. But, it's often foggy in their enclosure. I'll bump up the fish oil to LOTS. See what happens. Thanks for the help!

Leezard

5 Year Member
Boy, I wish I knew the answer to that question. I've been using the Super B Complex to assist in the sheds, but have had no luck. Both of my Tegus are holding their sheds on their tails. So clearly, I'm doing something wrong. I don't think it's diet - my female will eat anything, but my male is very meat...and more meat guy. I supplement vitamins and calcium and fish oil. I do baths, and have tried different oils. No difference. Haven't tried Betadine....haven't heard about that yet. Starting to get a little nervous about the shed issue. Their humidity is good....don't know what I'm doing wrong.

My female did shed after the Vit B complex, but now it shows a good bit left on her tail
Hey so I have an update on our struggle getting our B&W tegu to shed! We actually used about 1/8 teaspoon of Betadine (enough to make a lite tea) and bathed him once a week in that and then used a food processor to mash up his fruits and veggies and then spoon fed him the mash! But I'd highly recommend the Betadine it really helped!

good morning folks, my tegu is a long time without making the change and his skin started to get a little dry, but he sees some spots on the tip of his nose and the syrup and this is worrying me, can you tell me if it's normal? I bathe in the bath almost every day and it remains dry. . . My second problem is the actions, today you see a small worm in your actions and here in Brazil, where else, there is no veterinarian specialized in reptiles, someone could indicate some medicine or treatment for this problem of worms.

Hey so I have an update on our struggle getting our B&W tegu to shed! We actually used about 1/8 teaspoon of Betadine (enough to make a lite tea) and bathed him once a week in that and then used a food processor to mash up his fruits and veggies and then spoon fed him the mash! But I'd highly recommend the Betadine it really helped!
I constantly mist the tale of my Tegu he's about 7 months old he can hold onto his shed for quite a long time it'll even get rubber like I found that he likes to Sun under his lamp while I have a warm wet washcloth on his tail. Soaking it in other words. When he starts scratching and itching I know he's going to shed so I dry him out by lowering my humidity settings and when he goes under the heat lamp his skin pops! Assist but don't pull.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I constantly mist the tale of my Tegu he's about 7 months old he can hold onto his shed for quite a long time it'll even get rubber like I found that he likes to Sun under his lamp while I have a warm wet washcloth on his tail. Soaking it in other words. When he starts scratching and itching I know he's going to shed so I dry him out by lowering my humidity settings and when he goes under the heat lamp his skin pops! Assist but don't pull.
Good idea I hadn't heard of. I'll try it on my 3 yr old.

Merlot

Betadine helped a lot with mine, I was probably a little more liberal with it. When in the tub I kind poured it along tail pretty liberally then made the bath the tea color to your type of description. He instinctively raised it eyes and nose above the water and just chilled out in a nice hot bath. I only one did once or twice and helped almost immediately. My tegu still two his tails “rings” or whatever we call em were the shed just won’t come off. But it looks like it’s getting there. I don’t want it to cut off circulation to the bottom of the tail. I just have him a long hot bath with Neosporin around it, I’ll do that with the betadine today because I almost have him back on the same schedule to have his tail and body shed at the same time his body just shed and now tail is shedding. Closing the gap shorter and shorter. Reds are a pita but I love em!

Leezard

5 Year Member
Betadine helped a lot with mine, I was probably a little more liberal with it. When in the tub I kind poured it along tail pretty liberally then made the bath the tea color to your type of description. He instinctively raised it eyes and nose above the water and just chilled out in a nice hot bath. I only one did once or twice and helped almost immediately. My tegu still two his tails “rings” or whatever we call em were the shed just won’t come off. But it looks like it’s getting there. I don’t want it to cut off circulation to the bottom of the tail. I just have him a long hot bath with Neosporin around it, I’ll do that with the betadine today because I almost have him back on the same schedule to have his tail and body shed at the same time his body just shed and now tail is shedding. Closing the gap shorter and shorter. Reds are a pita but I love em!
Yay that's so good that someone else has had a good Betadine experience! I've also been told to not worry so much about small patches of stuck shed on the tail as its not a critical blood flow area but I would honestly be doing the same even if someone else says it's okay to let it come off. Who knows what that little skin could or couldn't do! Let me know how the Neosporin works!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced