• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

ideas for taming

Nytes_Haven

james.w said:
For you guys that are "feed outside the enclosure" keepers, do you practice the same things with your snakes?

I have two ball pythons and have always fed them in a separate feeding area. I have had my one snake for over 8 years and never ever has he ever struck or bitten me. I will apply the same method to my new B&W that I will be getting from Bobby. That method seems to work well (for me anyway).

Draco D Tegu

james.w said:
For you guys that are "feed outside the enclosure" keepers, do you practice the same things with your snakes?

James, with mine I do. I do it with everything but ONE of my snakes because she simply will not eat in a separate bin. I finally gave up the ghost with her. It does take me a good bit of time, and I have quite a number of tubs I have to keep around, but they also come in handy as transport totes too.

I never saw the big deal about feeding in a separate enclosure, UNTIL my young tegu got impacted from eating some mulch that got stuck on his food. That changed my opinion almost overnight. I also found that it stopped some food aggression issues I have with my Sav.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
james.w said:
As far as herpgirl's comment, I do believe some cases of food aggression are because the keeper rarely opens the door other than to feed.

Agreed, Guru is fed in his enclosure and he lets me pull food or put food right in front of him. I'm opening the door all the time throughout the day. If I only opened the door to feed him he would probably be more excited/aggressive.

I'm not worried about impaction with him because he has 2 massive elevated rocks that I put the food dishes on. He's never been one to drag his food through the substrate. It's really weird hes not a very messy eater at all....
Gary and Rango throw their food all over the place before they decide to eat it but they're fed in a different tub.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980