• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

im a snake noob

Hippo

hey everyone that reads this, a reptile expo is coming to San Antonio TX
June 4-5th and i was thinking about getting a snake(ive never had one before)i was considering on getting a baby ball python but i dont know that much about them ive done a little research but i was wondering if you guys can give me a little info on them and whats your opinions on getting a baby ball python

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Ball python care sheet

Ball pythons are really cool, and make great first snakes. But they are not really the show off kind of snake. They get stressed easily and hide most of the time, you will barley see them. But still, they are pretty cool to look at and handle.

Also just because you hear "They make great beginner snakes and are easy too care for" does not mean you should take research lightly. That happens a lot, take the research just as serious as you would with any other reptile and in the end it pays off to know what your doing.

Are you looking at getting any specific morph? There are like hundreds(seriously a lot)! My personal favorite is the Killer clown ball python.

All in all really cool, except when they have their little hunger strikes, which is really a pain. But that mostly occurs with adults around breeding season. Hatchlings don't really go off feed unless somethings wrong with the husbandry (stress,wrong size rodent, too big of a cage and more).

Look everything over and see if you can meet the need's, i had my ball pythons for some time and i don't regret purchasing them one bit :D.

Oh and if you want to see things like my set or have questions feel free to ask.

Hippo

Strange_Evil said:
Ball python care sheet

Ball pythons are really cool, and make great first snakes. But they are not really the show off kind of snake. They get stressed easily and hide most of the time, you will barley see them. But still, they are pretty cool to look at and handle.

Also just because you hear "They make great beginner snakes and are easy too care for" does not mean you should take research lightly. That happens a lot, take the research just as serious as you would with any other reptile and in the end it pays off to know what your doing.

Are you looking at getting any specific morph? There are like hundreds(seriously a lot)! My personal favorite is the Killer clown ball python.

All in all really cool, except when they have their little hunger strikes, which is really a pain. But that mostly occurs with adults around breeding season. Hatchlings don't really go off feed unless somethings wrong with the husbandry (stress,wrong size rodent, too big of a cage and more).

Look everything over and see if you can meet the need's, i had my ball pythons for some time and i don't regret purchasing them one bit :D.

Oh and if you want to see things like my set or have questions feel free to ask.
Yeah thanks for the reply : ) im still doing more research i was justing wondering whats your set up if you dont mine? : ).

Im basically looking for pretty chill snake to hold and one that will not grow that big and not really aggressive

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Oh then your looking at the perfect snake, Ball pythons are really chill snakes and don't even get too huge, only about 3-4ft on average. Some females push 5ft...

Yes i use tubs. They make things so much more easier, ball pythons need fairly high humidity (50-60%) and this make it so much easier to achieve that. It also offer less height and in a way kind of mimic's a constant burrow, which ball pythons prefer, it makes them feel safer.

I use a acu rite indoor outdoor thermometer , it measures my cool side,hot side and humidity all in one. Its really a must have!

I have three hides, you only need two though. Its good to have more hides, the more hides the more security which is exactly what Ball pythons like. Your hides are the most important thing, a good hide is one your ball python can barley fit into

I use aspen, there is much more choices, i just find aspen to be the easiest to maintain. And the stick i found outside, decor was just to make it look cooler, but decor is important.

Now to my tub size, right now its a 28qt for both my Ball pythons, its better to go smaller rather than larger, too much space can really stress these guys out and cause them to go off feed.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2011-02-17-21h14m55s110.png
    vlcsnap-2011-02-17-21h14m55s110.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

turtlepunk

Yeah tubs are the way to go for ball pythons. Ive had mine in and out of tubs. Ive noticed that when they were in their own wooden enclosure they were pickier about eating and it was waaay harder to keep humidity up. after about 4-5 months i moved them back into the tubs and they did much better! humidity levels were back to normal and they were eating much better! I also use 28qt tubs. was thinking about bumping my adult up to a 41qt.

Riplee

5 Year Member
Baby Red Tail Boa will be better. LoL

Lots of Ball Python are CH. But once they eat, they are very easy to take care of .

Show box for baby. large tube for adult. Water bowl, heatpad, paper bedding.

Snakes are way easier to keep than a huge lizard.

:)

Hippo

Riplee said:
Baby Red Tail Boa will be better. LoL

Lots of Ball Python are CH. But once they eat, they are very easy to take care of .

Show box for baby. large tube for adult. Water bowl, heatpad, paper bedding.

Snakes are way easier to keep than a huge lizard.

:)

how big do red tails get?
Strange_Evil said:
Oh then your looking at the perfect snake, Ball pythons are really chill snakes and don't even get too huge, only about 3-4ft on average. Some females push 5ft...

Yes i use tubs. They make things so much more easier, ball pythons need fairly high humidity (50-60%) and this make it so much easier to achieve that. It also offer less height and in a way kind of mimic's a constant burrow, which ball pythons prefer, it makes them feel safer.

I use a acu rite indoor outdoor thermometer , it measures my cool side,hot side and humidity all in one. Its really a must have!

I have three hides, you only need two though. Its good to have more hides, the more hides the more security which is exactly what Ball pythons like. Your hides are the most important thing, a good hide is one your ball python can barley fit into

I use aspen, there is much more choices, i just find aspen to be the easiest to maintain. And the stick i found outside, decor was just to make it look cooler, but decor is important.

Now to my tub size, right now its a 28qt for both my Ball pythons, its better to go smaller rather than larger, too much space can really stress these guys out and cause them to go off feed.

thank for the info : ) you think you could post up pics of your snakes? and would a 10 gal be good?

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
We'll with red tail boa's it depends on the type you have but generally 5-12 feet in length i believe.

Red tail's are really cool too, the only thing holding me back from getting a Colombian red tail boa was its size at first, now its just the matter of finding appropriate feeders for a adult, i just really found out about rodent pro and they have rabbits and large rats for sale, so now i guess i'm all set, i will prob get one(female) this summer.

But the things you should look at with this snake is housing and feeding it. My uncle has a big 8ft girl and she is really sweet and does not ming being handled.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont