• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is He Done?

sclevenger08

5 Year Member
My tegu has been coming up, well not really up cause he hasn't buried himself, he just wraps up in my shirt or under his log, but anyways...Everyday he has been coming out and just laying out in the open on his substrate and he's still asleep. So.. i'll say now that his cage is in my closet so that he wouldn't be disturbed. So could he be waking up, but with him not seeing any light he's going back to sleep? Like if I reach in and pet him for awhile, then turn his lights on for about an hour, then he'll crawl back under his log and be out the rest of the night. I mean whats the deal? Should I start keeping his lights on reguarly and feeding, or maybe just leave him alone period, even if he is out. Thanks Guys.

Susan Lynn<3

slideaboot

5 Year Member
The same exact thing is happening with my B/W. He comes out, basks, and sleeps. I've offered him food three days in a row now and he's still refusing to eat. He'll smell the food and ignore it. He's doing this as we speak. If anybody has any insight, I'd surely appreciate it (and lots of others probably would too as it seems our Gus are finally waking up!).

Thanks,

Marc

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My '08 hatchling slept solid through her first winter. I still gave her 4~5 hours of UVB (no heat lamp) throughout the winter. This way 'just in case' she needed the UVB, it was available.

If your Tegu is comfortably hibernating, I would encourage it to hibernate. I do not believe that coming out of the hide is necessarily a sign a "waking up". If your Tegu starts roaming or pacing the cage this may be a sign it is searching for food. I would not offer food or otherwise disturb until he'she was roaming or pacing.

My girl didn't hibernate nearly as well this year. She went under for about a month and a half, then began waking up every day to bask. When she started climbing around her tank I offered food. She's now eating about 75% the volume I would expect her to eat when fully active.

She seems to be "fully awake" for a few hours each day, but not nearly as long as in the summer. I've added some heat to the cage, but not nearly as much as in the summer. Even if she is not "hibernating" I want her body to still go through seasonal changes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu