• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is mt tegu about to hibernate or is it just sleeping?

G

Hi i just got a tegu about 5 days ago he's about 16 inches. I take him to handle him twice a day. Than I will feed him in a seperate container. Ill put hime back than he will bask for like 30 minutes than poop than walk around than he would bury himself and sleep. HE sleeps alot. the temp is about 100 basking 80 ambient and on the cool side 75...

I do not know if all tegus just sleep under ground or if mine is hibernating?

Please answer <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="ASAPhttp://www.tegutalk.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=21#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">ASAPhttp://www.tegutalk.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=21#</a><!-- m --> :chin

G

It sounds like everything is ok ...

That is just what they do ...

Keep the lights and heat up for the short term so he can empty out and decide which way to go ..

My bet is he will settle in and sleep for a couple of weeks ..

If you don`t see him and he hasn`t eaten in a couple of days then you can turn down the lights and heat ....

Make sure you keep the humidity up tho ...

G

I turned on all my lights today and it got up and started walking and is now currently basking does this mean he is hibernating?

G

i turned on all the lights today and it got up started to walk and is basking now. ALso at the reptile store i got him from he was not hibernating. The workers told me so. they seemed really active and were eating alot. IS he still hibernating. if so when do they wake up?

G

Mine came out for a week or so when I first got him ...

If he is going to hibernate He will come out less and less and quit eating ..

He could very well stay up and and not go down till next year if at all ...

You are doing good just watch him and see what he is going to do ..

If they had them at the pet store it`s my guess they didn`t have them long and they are still trying to settle into a safe place ...

G

I would guess not ....

The thing with tegus seems to be VARIETY ....

I have never done [the bug thing] but I here that they soon loose interest in bugs.

Thirty seems like a lot for a little tegu and I think that Impaction could result ...

Buy all means feed him gut fed and dusted crickets in moderation but I would do the [ground turkey , liver , fruits ,vegetables ,and the mouse a week thing ]..

My thought is you will be far better off not using live food if he will eat other things ..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu