• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

,,,is my light fixture big enough?

A while ago I bought a Zilla 5.5" (14cm) light reflector dome which I found was not long enough to house the UVB light I bought for my Tegu. I've been using an ordinary lamp in the mean time but as it turns out the bulb I bought is itself no good. Recently I've been looking around for the lights listed on the recommended list on this site: and I have no idea if the screw-in bulbs listed here can actually fit into a dome of this size.

Can anyone here tell me about how long and wide the Powersun and other good screw-in bulbs actually are?

I also have a flourescent light fixture for a 20 gallon aquarium; of course it doesn't turn on and I have no way of telling if the light bulb is out or if the entire fixture is shot.

Thanks everyone!

Nessie

The mercury vapour bulbs are bigger then the average basking bulb and require a "Deep Dome" fixture. I tried using my regular fixture with the mvb but I got too nervous as it stuck out so much. I think it is made by zoo-med and flukers has a deep dome also.

G

I bought a large reflector clamp light at the hardware store. It has an aluminum reflector and a ceramic base. It is rated for a 250 watt bulb. I believe they only like $10. They come with a clamp, a hanger and a guard. The lase MVB went right to the end of the reflector.
The easiest way to test a florescent light fixture is to try another bulb. Florescent bulbs have about a 6 month uv life. If it is older than that you will need a new one.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu