• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this good taming progress

jaypops

Hi guys!

I just recently got my 7 week old Argentine black and white tegu. I have a few questions on taming (I did 2 years on studying the animal, health, food, requirements, and how to make it a friend). But like always, things don't always go as scripted. Sorry for the long post in advance.

So, they day i got him, I had to pick him up from the airport, he was in a plastic container inside a box. When i opened the box to get out the container, he was VICIOUS, tail whipping, mouth opened, jumping at me (well trying to, he couldn't get through the lid). I put the container into tje terrarium, and as i was opening the lid he jumped through almost getting me. I understand he was in defensive mode, and i knew it was a bad first impression fo him lol. So, with ths knowledge I've gained in the reading, I knew it will take some time to gain trust. So for the first week at least i have to Ignore him, just do chores and do not try to touch him. I know slow and steady wins the race and am ok with it. Well, I knew he didn't eat the day before, so i gave him food, i was about to leave to give him space, but he went to the food and began eating while i was there. He left some food so i know he was full. When I took out his dish, i decided to leave my hand in there just so he can see i am no threat, and expected him to hiss and puff, but instead, he showed interest and came to my hand, licked it, crawled on, then walked off. I was shocked. The next day, same thing. The day after, he layed on my hand and stayed there. I figured at this point, hes showing interest before me, so i did the same, and he let me pet under his chin and dozed off for a bit. It's only been 4 days i have him, but this seems awfully fast, and am confused if i should try to hold him to take him to a new bin, or wait until he shows zero signs of stress (kind of opens his eyes fast, slightly sits up, but no hissing or puffing). I really don't want to rush anything, but he seems to be "taming" down extremely fast.

I hope i can start having him out earlier than anticipated.

jaypops

Lop no prob. Well now its getting better, I can take him out, but he gets a little squirmy but not thrashy. I don't let him free roam yet because he seems to try to get away, but I guess it's just curiosity. I just want him to want to hang with me lol

SamBobCat

He will with time. Mine was very calm out of his box when I unpacked him but the next day he was pretty jumpy. They are usually a bit feisty in their cages but once out they become a lot calmer. Do you have any pics you could share?

jaypops

Good to know. Today I let him free roam the bathroom with me in it. It went a l9t bettet than expected. No trouble picking him back up. Almost completely tame I would think. Just jumpy at any subtle movement. But he crawled a lot on me and even dozed off for a couple minutes. I wouldn't call it 100% tame until he seeks my attention :p.

I have pics, just don't know how to upload them from my phone :s

jaypops

uploadfromtaptalk1402585606181.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1402585661952.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402585661952.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 35
  • uploadfromtaptalk1402585783587.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402585783587.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 37
  • uploadfromtaptalk1402585825529.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1402585825529.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 37

SamBobCat

Jeez! He is a very pretty tegu BTW. It seems like you're doing great. Some tegus just tame down faster than others!

jaypops

I'm so glad to hear that! Thanks :) today is exactly 1 month I've had him. He will be 3 months old in a week and a half (apparently he/she was born week of March 26th). He just looks fat in the last pictures lol

SamBobCat

That's awesome! I've had my little boy for three weeks as of tomorrow! My boy is also three months but his past owner didn't feed him every day so his growing slowed down

marydd

Sounds like he is doing great! You should try putting an old shirt with your sent on it in his hide. I did that when I first got my gu and she seemed much calmer with me holding her after a few days.

jaypops

Thanks :) I was going to do that, but his hide is a hole under his basking rock (soil/sand mix). Not much space at all. I wouldn't want him to get tangled in the shirt and not be able to get out :s

jaypops

So new progress. I take him out of his terrarium for a fee minutes every day or other day to get used to being handled. He will go on my shoulder, but it feels like he's always looking for a way off. If he's in my hands, he's really squirmy and tries to get out. And if he's on my shoulder amd I sit somewhere, he wants to crawl down and go about and when I try to pick him back up, he kicks a fuss. Is this normal? Am I being to pushy with him?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu