• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is yours awake?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I was just wondering for those who had their Tegus go down this winter, are any of them awake yet? I am impatiently waiting for both of mine to wake up and hit a growth spurt.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I got Aesop from Bobby in July and he never went down at all (consequently, he's dang near 4 feet long now--and GIRTHY). Later, in December, I got Francis from Bobby and she had been hibernating since August. She's been up for about a month since I got her in December and is eating like there is no tomorrow.

We should start seeing a lot more posts here soon with pictures of newly awakened gus (which should liven the board up a bit!).

G

I cant wait for Dragonfly to wake up, Im hoping its soon ):. I even starting turning her lights back up, maybe to encourage her a bit. lol :p

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My '08 Tegu didn't hibernate this year, but noticably slowed down...

His activity level picked up a bit in mid Jan so I turned a heat light on. that increased the activity a little but he still didn't have much of an appetite...

His appetite picked up a little in Feb, so I turned on his second heat light (now at summer time temperatures). his appetite and activity picked up A LOT for about a week, then the appetite dipped a little but the activity level is still high...

Mine's first year he slept uninterupted until April then he woke up. It took him about a month to hit summer time levels of activity and appetite. My (brief) experience has been then as he matures, he hibernates/brumates less each year...

prowler33

I'm not as experienced as most on here but it seems general concensus is it's still early as ours still hasn't come up to eat
Steve

G

Neither of mine went down. Sad but even the little one who didn't hibernate only grew 3 inches. He's almost a year and only 21in long. Neither slowed down just ate like pigs. And played

Kebechet

Mine slowed down around November, and stayed burrowed for days at a time, only coming out sometimes for water and to bask a little. He woke up fully about two weeks ago. He's been eating like crazy, and getting nice and fat on mice, quail eggs, fish, and bits of steak. He's started eating fruits a little, and I plan on introducing him to fruit more soon.

Draco D Tegu

I think mine is all confused. He is now acting like he WANTS to pseudo hibernate this late in the season and spends a good bit of time under his mulch (I put him back on it).

My new girl, I don't think was ever provided an adequate enclosure with a way to bury herself TO hibernate, so she's enjoying burrying herself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu