• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Jethro The All American Pic Journal

Mkulu

5 Year Member
Jethro is one of the hatchlings from the first time Bobby Hill creation The All American Tegu born Aug 2, 2009. He arrived to our very excited household Oct 9, 2009. He was 16" and very skittish. Also went into hibernation about a week later. Here is what he looked like.
JethroBornAug209arrivedOct909.jpg
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv196/371eb/JethroBornAug209arrivedOct909.jpg[/IMG][/img]

Mkulu

5 Year Member
Now this is blowin me away! Its May 16, 2010, only a little over a month later, he is now 23" and HUGE!!!! Check Jethro out.
JethroMay1522inches.jpg
Jethrochillin.jpg
Jethroupclose.jpg
JethrobacklegcolorMay1509.jpg
Jethrobaskingshelf.jpg

Mkulu

5 Year Member
The rest of the family. This is my daughter Macy Princess age 7 and she named her Beardie after herself, Princess Lizzy.
MacyLizzyMay1509.jpg

Mkulu

5 Year Member
This is the new enclosure I am building him. As a former general contractor I thought I might post the build if it helps anyone that lacks building experience. It is a bottom level 8x4. Also will have a top level that is 8x3. The top will be divided into three sections, for two beardies and one for our water dragon. Here is a step by step for anyone who needs it. Step one for a light weight enclosure but that is stackable is cut the 1x2 end parts at a 45 degree angle. No need to use anything but 1x2. They are lighter, take up less space, and the sheeting will provide additional strength. If I were caging a gorilla I might use 2x4.
Cage1-1.jpg
Predrill and screw together like thisEnds will look like this.
Cage3-1.jpg
This is the basic framework.
Cage5-1.jpg
This how to screw it all together at the joints.
Cage6-1.jpg
Front view with a 10" build up at the bottom for substraight and above that the framed opening for the sliding plexiglass. Also above the plexiglass its a good idea to double up the framework to span the opening.
Cage7-1.jpg
Lastly you need to think ahead for other features like I am planning for. This pic shows a horizontal ledger about midway up the interior wall that jogs downward about halfway down the enclosure. This is for a basking shelf at the higher end that is connected to a lower level by a ramp. The lower level will have water on top and Jethro will have a hide underneath.
Cage9.jpg
To be continued. If I am not clear enough please ask questions or post constructive positive ideas too.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
He looks nice :) . I was just wondering but are you using sand for substrate ? I have two ( male and female ) All American Tegus, too. They came out of hibernation April 18th.

Mkulu

5 Year Member
Thanks alot Txrepgirl! No its not sand, Its Coconut fiber. Thinking I may use Cyprus Mulch next time.

Mkulu

5 Year Member
Here are updated pics of Jethro taken in Aug 2010. He is now 1 year old this month, and 36".
IMG00154.jpg
IMG00157.jpg
IMG00164.jpg
IMG00165.jpg
IMG00169.jpg
IMG00170.jpg
IMG00173.jpg
IMG00181.jpg
IMG00185.jpg
IMG00188.jpg
The enclosure progress. Still not done. This is the bottom level for Jethro.
IMG00189.jpg
Indoor plumbing is a must with a drain.
IMG00191.jpg
A Basking shelf.
IMG00192.jpg
This is the top. For 2 Beardies and Water Dragon. It will be divided into thirds where you see the two vertical posts.
IMG00190.jpg

DMBizeau

He is the only other All American that I have seen that has stayed that dark. Mine looks almost identical to yours even sizewise. He looks great and I'm sure he will love his new enclosure.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
any updates on the enclosure, i plan on making mine based off yours.

brutus13

Any new pics. I would love to see size and color. My male 10' has reached 3' already!!! Just curios how the 09' are doing :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu