• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Leucistic Black Rat Snake Pics and Vid

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
So, my Elaphe obsoleta lindheimeri is coming tomorrow morning! I am def. excited. Here is the temp. setup I have for her. It's a 29 Gallon. What do you think?

I eventually want to go all naturalistic and will be adding a dirt mixture substrate. Should I cover the 2 sides so it has more security?

I have a UTH on the side with the hide. Should I leave the UTH on 24/7? Or have a 12/12 cycle?

Night temps will be in the constant low 70s.

Any constructive criticisim/advice is most welcome.

I'll post more pics when I get my snake tomorrow morning!!!

With flash:
PICT0001-3.jpg

Without:
PICT0002-3.jpg

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The setup looks good, all but the aspen, I am not crazy about the stuff.

As for the temps, I would go with the 12/12, it does cool off at night in their natural home.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah, I think with it will be good to do a 12/12 as well. My apt is on the second floor and I have a tar roof. It gets really hot in my place. I run 4 window AC units (no central air because it's a really old town; having it's roots back to the 17th Century!) so it never gets too hot for my critters.

I will eventually be switching out the Aspen as soon as this small bag I got for free runs out. I want to do a dirt mixture with some leaf litter; as reccomended by some others.

I am also going to get some more tree bark and enclose the 2 sides. I found a patch of really nice pieces that will fit perfect. The one in the cage measure about 2 1/2 wide 18 high at it's highest point.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
On the tree bark, just make sure you treat it before you use it, that stuff can hold mites in it if you are collecting it from the wild.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah, I did. I soaked it for an hour then sun dried it. Then baked it for a half hour at 350. Almost set a fire lol. I also scraped off all the extra backing they was left on it.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
Nice set up. She should like that. I kept her is a sweater tub. I keep my house around 80 degrees and I kept her sitting next to a light that heats my geckos. When she ate. It doesn't really take alot of heat for them. Most room temps are fine. A 90 degree hot spot is plenty warm enough. But in the summer. I don't even use heat on Colubrid snakes. They aren't very hard to keep warm and happy.
As far as the aspine goes. It shouldn't hurt anything. But you will never see her in it. They like to burrow up in it. But she will feel nice and safe in your set up. If you feed her F/T make sure they prey item is good and dry before you put it in . So the fine shavings don't stick to it. She will poop out most that sticks to the prey item. But it can build up in their digestive tract and cause trouble. But I would say that would be highly unlikely. But yours are a little finely shredded. You'll know the first time you feed her whether it will be a problem or not.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
My Elaphe obsoleta lindheimeri arrived without a hitch and looking excellent! Thanks Wes!! She is living up to her species reputation but I love it! I am sure she will calm down with some time and handling.

She was a little sluggish from the trip but warmed up in her new enclosure when I went to class. I handled her for about 3 minutes when I got home to get these pics and video.

Her striking the camera:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gk4Fx_kHJc">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gk4Fx_kHJc</a><!-- m -->

PICT0004-2.jpg

Strike position:
PICT0002-4.jpg

She tagged me a few times, but only when I moved fast on purpose.
PICT0001-4.jpg

So far she really likes the large piece of bark. Good hiding spot for her as well.
PICT0005-1.jpg

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
She is normally calm with me. She thinks she is bad to the bone. She ain't big enough to even hang on . She usualy calms down once you hold her for a minute. She's just trying to get the bluff on you. She'll stop that once she realizes your the one who feeds her. She is cage aggressive but she gets out of it . Once she gets used to things. You and her will be buddies in no time. LOL

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I had her out a second time real fast and she behaved wonderfully. Getting her out of the enclosure she is a little flighty but once she is in your hands she is fine. Now she will not be touched for 1-2 weeks so she can get acclimated.

Harveysherps

5 Year Member
If it were me I would handle her anyway. She isn't really shy like that. Trust me. I handled her before each meal and stuff. She can take it. That's the best way to acclimate her. Is to do what you want with her. That snake is really tame once she gets used to you. No lie I hated to move her. That snake has personality. Very smart reptile too. By the way she is an escape artist also. Houdini ain't got nothing on her. All colubrids are that way.

Mvskokee

5 Year Member
man i was looking for this really wanted to see her she is beautiful i love it. i am thinking about getting a radiated rat

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214