• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Light Meters

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Anyone using one? I know there are low and high end products out there but what do you reccomend? Is their a difference in accuracy?

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yeah I was looking at them but they are so expensive. I am looking at a craftsman multimeter from sears. Has an infrared temp and UVB meter. I am hoping to find something more moderate in price but just as useful. Let me know if they order them though. I might be interested in jumpin in on the deal!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Great Site Dave!

Anyone have any thoughts on the optimal UVB range our tegu's should get/like?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That's still highly debated. We know they need it while growing, but do they need it as adults?? Some say yes, some say no. The no's probably don't have healthy Tegu's. I'd guess without UVB to metabolize calcium, they might draw the calcium out of their bones and end up with MBD, just much slower as an adult. Our Tegu's have 48" ReptiSun 10's about 12" to 16" from their basking site.

Of course natural sunlight is much better for them, but most of us can't take them outside all year. Having them bask in a window during the winter doesn't work because most glass and plastic filters out the UVB.

I'd like to get a SolarMeter to check the output and decay of our UVB bulbs and compare them to actual sunlight at different times of the day and year. We bought a cheap UVB meter at Target for $20. It was demonstrated to us (by a herper friend) that it would read High under a ReptiSun 10 so it looked like it might be useful to at least check that bulbs were still working. Unfortunately when we bought one it read High in bright sunlight and Low for everything else, including a 6 month old MegaRay. NFG.

Mike

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Great Site Dave!

Anyone have any thoughts on the optimal UVB range our tegu's should get/like?

IMO the powersun or similar bulbs are much better than the reptisuns. I use natural sunlight mostly, so I can't say.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mike said:
IMO the powersun or similar bulbs are much better than the reptisuns. I use natural sunlight mostly, so I can't say.
Absolutely! A MVB puts out much more UVB than a florescent tube.

The new ZooMed ReptiSun compact florescents put out alot of UVB, more than a long tube but less than a MVB.

The advantage of a 4ft ReptiSun 10 is that it covers a larger amount of floor space with UVB. A MVB is not only the Tegu's source of UVB but his source of heat. If he doesn't need any more UVB but needs heat he will have to choose. Since the MVB puts out a high amount of UVB, how much is too much??

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think it starts to get dangerous at anything adove the 450-500 uW/cmÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?Æ?ââ?¬Å¡Ã?â??Ã?²

I am using the new version on T-Rex ActiveUV and it's basically the same thing as the Mega Ray. Although next I am getting the Mega Ray because the decay times seem longer and the price is a little less expensive.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
I am using the new version on T-Rex ActiveUV and it's basically the same thing as the Mega Ray. Although next I am getting the Mega Ray because the decay times seem longer and the price is a little less expensive.
We need to replace our 14 month old MegaRays for our Bearded Dragons. We may get ActiveUV's at a show for less. Our BD's are brumating now so it doesn't matter.

angelrose

5 Year Member
ok, how/why does the UVB have to be replaced ? how does that work ??

other than the obvious of them getting old.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dave, a question...out of curiosity...

I am very familiar with the article you linked. I was wondering why you use compact bulbs when this group recommends not using them? Granted, I haven't been to their site in probably 1.5 years. (OK, this is not an attacking question, it's a "I have a cup of coffee in my hand, I'd love to hear someone else's opinion" kind of question.) :)

I had a bad, bad experience with a T-Rex Slimline with a friend's beardies, and another friend had a declining beardie using a compact. that's why I ask. There are certain brands and bulbs that I associate with UVC production (the bad-too much UV people think about) and it just scares the living daylights out of me now. No pun intended.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
laurarfl said:
Dave, a question...out of curiosity...

I am very familiar with the article you linked. I was wondering why you use compact bulbs when this group recommends not using them? Granted, I haven't been to their site in probably 1.5 years. (OK, this is not an attacking question, it's a "I have a cup of coffee in my hand, I'd love to hear someone else's opinion" kind of question.) :)

I had a bad, bad experience with a T-Rex Slimline with a friend's beardies, and another friend had a declining beardie using a compact. that's why I ask. There are certain brands and bulbs that I associate with UVC production (the bad-too much UV people think about) and it just scares the living daylights out of me now. No pun intended.
We bought a couple of ZooMed ReptiSun 10 Compact florescent's when they were new to the market and we didn't know about the problem. ZooMed published a warning saying something about the bulbs putting out too much UVB initially (can't find the link). We used the bulb with our Blue Tongue Skink who rarely basked so we figured he wasn't at risk.

More info.
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor.htm
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-summary.htm#responses
http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/E...7czoxOiIwIjtzOjg6IlNlYXJjaF95IjtzOjE6IjAiO30=

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I found the uvguide.co.uk links about a year or so ago, when I was helping my friend with her beardies. They were babies we had given her and they were rough! Their skin was so bad that I figured it had to be light. I did some research and found our about the lighting issues, and then the brand did a recall at the same time.

I see your point in using the compacts...makes sense. I was wondering how to put that together (the article and the continued use) ;)

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
I think it would be neat if you were to purchase one of those meters and measure the amount of UVB that does come through windows as well as screen etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu