• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Mice or Rats?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
So I'm debating whether to switch my ball python form mice to rats. Mr. S is almost 11, roughly 3.5 feet long or so, and has been fed mice his whole life. He usually eats one large mouse at a time, sometimes two. Once he's done with this box of mice (hopefully at next week's feeding), I was gonna go get some rats. Should I make the switch? Any and all input is very much appreciated, by me and Mr. S.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you think you would need to feed anything smaller than a weanling I would pass. Generally pinkies and fuzzies don't contain as much nutritional content as larger prey. It might be easier to pass one larger prey item than a couple smaller ones, fur wise. Generally one "large" mouse (19-25g) is comparable to a rat pup. I would think an adult BP would be able to take at least a weaned or small rat. Weaned being between 31-45g and small between 46-79g.

I do not have much experience with ball pythons, hopefully someone else will chime in if you're looking for experience from a BP owner. Here is a link that sort of compares general sizes.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/feeder/16801-mouse-rat-size-chart.html

It could also help to reduce food cost in the long run.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Depends on the size of your snake. The rule of thumb for feeding is it shouldn't be larger than the widest part of the snakes body. So as long as it's the same size or a little smaller than the width of the snake it should be fine.

To keep mine on a feeding schedule I go with a little smaller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont