• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My 11' AA Fractured Leg

AllAmericanGu

My 11' All American was doing so good and yesterday when i looked in her cage she was limping and walking on the wrong side of her foot. I took her to the vet and they said she fractured her right front leg. $250 later she has her leg taped to her side and she gets pain medication everyday. I hope she heals fast, it really sucks watching her try to get around with three legs. She was so active and healthy and today she didn't even want to come out to eat or bask. Anyone ever experience a fractured leg? How long dose it take to heal? The doctor said 1-10 months but he seemed unsure about tegus.

adam1120

i would go around 3 to 4 to months fully at least remeber to stay up to date with all the vitiamn and calcium supplement during right now probly up his calcium intake too and she probly too messed up on the pain med to eat and bask probly lol give her a few days to get used to the drug kinda lol goodluck

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Any idea how she might have hurt it? Ill keep my fingers crossed for a speedy and healthy recovery

Johnnydr

Be careful if they don't know too much about tegus. How long do they want the leg taped? Due to their growth rate as babies, it's important they didn't set the leg wrong and make you keep it up too long. Reptiles generally heal a bit slower than mammals, but babies also heal much faster than an adult would.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree with the 3 to 4 months for healing, unless hibernation kicks it, there is no growth so no healing when an animal starts to hibernate. Without x-rays it will be really hard to tell if the bone is one broken, two set right and three healed. Increase the calicium and basking UV light, supplementing with D3 once a week wouldn't hurt either. Also make sure the tape isn't to tight around the body as this can hinder breathing and healing on the bones part.

They did take x-rays to make sure it was broken correct?

AllAmericanGu

yeah they took x-rays its broken. The front leg bone has two prongs one of which broke. Her leg is taped to her side and shes having a hard time moving as expected. Shes eating fine and getting more calcium, I just ordered from rodent pro so I can increase her whole prey consumption. I have no clue how she broke it there are no heights in her cage, i'm guessing she tried to climb up the wall and landed wrong when she jumped up or something. The vet has specialized in exotic reptiles for over 20 years so i'm sure he knows what hes doing its just tegus are pretty rare.

AllAmericanGu

Thanks, I hope so too. Shes much more active now but there's only so much she can move with 3 legs. She ate a ton of food today a large fuzzy and a ton of chicken.

AllAmericanGu

This sucks my tegu was so calm and always wanted to just walk up my hand when I opened the cage but now she runs from my hand because she hates when I have to change her bandages around her arm.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Heres hopeing your little guy heals up nice and fast. Im sure after she heals, she will be back to normal.

DragonsDen

AllAmericanGu said:
My 11' All American was doing so good and yesterday when i looked in her cage she was limping and walking on the wrong side of her foot. I took her to the vet and they said she fractured her right front leg. $250 later she has her leg taped to her side and she gets pain medication everyday. I hope she heals fast, it really sucks watching her try to get around with three legs. She was so active and healthy and today she didn't even want to come out to eat or bask. Anyone ever experience a fractured leg? How long dose it take to heal? The doctor said 1-10 months but he seemed unsure about tegus.

I hope she heals quickly!! Good luck!! :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus