• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

my cuviers dwarf caiman PIIC HEAVY!!

Dereks-Dragons

after a year of research i took the plunge. had this gem about a month or so and hes growing/eating alot! a lil fatty. a month ago when i got him he would go otu of his way to bite and attack.. wouldnt be able to break skin though haha was so cute. well now its starting to hurt a lil haha but i handle him alot and hes actually calming down for me quite a bit... only me though. if anybody else goes near him he freaks but i can pick him up and handle him without being bitten. he doesnt even attempt to bite me that much anymore lets hope he continues to calm down! haha

0d920dc0.jpg

9f22bbff.jpg

b4bb3a79.jpg

601efbc2.jpg

d7fdfcaa.jpg

acf629a4.jpg

6f1e2109.jpg

6f1e2109.jpg

8b565505.jpg

45f41309.jpg

5b4eb20f.jpg

2ee4c4a8.jpg

aa4f036f.jpg

this caiman is my pride and joy even though ive only had him for a month. as an adult he will have a 10+ foot small room sized enclosure with a lifted floor so i can build his pond into the floor im quite looking forward to that build its going to be fun :)

Riplee

5 Year Member
Look at this cute face....I was going to get one this summer....lol.. but still depending....

Dereks-Dragons

great pet? never.. loll amazing animal to keep? yes :p i have yet to hear of any tame cuviers they are apparently extremely agressive by nature as compared to american alligators which actually tame down quite well. im very intrigued by crocodilians i strarted research in just keeping them as pets and after a year i had ended up researching EVERYTHING including why each species is built the way it is, the way the teeth arer and for what reasons, the placings and reasoning for the different types of skin and plates and the natural habitats and instincts of these animals. pretty much had no choice haha if i wanted to find ouy howe to keep him correctly and happily i needed to learn all about their natural instincts and habitats because there really are almost NO care sheets on them and after talking to other owners/researching ive realixzed the few actual care sheets are WAY off on their care and people really think the wrong way about these animals. always been fascinated by things like this im so proud to finally own one! haha

geez lucky i had an american alligator but it was illegal and i was 8 and he was really nice and i fed him the wrong food like outside frogs and worms and he died i loved him great little gator but u are still so lucky that you have a caiman good luck on raising him

Dereks-Dragons

thanks! yeah im almost 17 and i know for a fact that i dont know ANY other 16 year old that could care for even half of the animals i have not to mention an 8 year old! haha so its not REALLY your fault with that gator :p

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Be careful, please. I knew a guy who had a caiman some years back and almost lost a hand. We don't want you to be unable to count to 10 on your fingers.

Compnerd7

Dereks-Dragons said:
great pet? never.. loll amazing animal to keep? yes :p i have yet to hear of any tame cuviers they are apparently extremely agressive by nature as compared to american alligators which actually tame down quite well. im very intrigued by crocodilians i strarted research in just keeping them as pets and after a year i had ended up researching EVERYTHING including why each species is built the way it is, the way the teeth arer and for what reasons, the placings and reasoning for the different types of skin and plates and the natural habitats and instincts of these animals. pretty much had no choice haha if i wanted to find ouy howe to keep him correctly and happily i needed to learn all about their natural instincts and habitats because there really are almost NO care sheets on them and after talking to other owners/researching ive realixzed the few actual care sheets are WAY off on their care and people really think the wrong way about these animals. always been fascinated by things like this im so proud to finally own one! haha

That's really dope, and a cute little bugger!!! I've noticed too that there are no complete care sheets on this animal. Maybe you could be one of the first to write out a complete care sheet, with your research, and your up coming experience. I know I would like to read it, being that one day I will have my Alligator, or more realistically, this smaller Caiman species haha. I have had the pleasure to own a few of my dream reptiles, but no Crocodilian.... yet.

Have fun and be safe!

One more quick question, are you building it's adult enclosure outside? And if so, what are the weather patterns like in your area?

Grendel

I think in 2-3 months there is going to be a post: I'm finally taking a plunge into ...... ( like the one abut tegus before and the one about water monitors, etc) I hope I'm not gonna see that caiman on Fauna Cclassifieds like I saw all your previous animals.

Dereks-Dragons

i still have my water monitors.. as well as all my other monitors. the only animals i sold were my tegus lol and im selling my mangrove monitor right now so i can make this caimans cage even bigger than it needs to be

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu