• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My monitors new home!!

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
My sav, Bosco wasn't doing too well a few months ago. I finally found someone to build him a bigger tank. Its 2 1/2 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 6 feet long. Thats the biggest I can give him right now.. he has lots of space in there though. The front door is wire, but I have a piece of plywood that fits in there tightly to keep in the heat (the room is very warm anyway). I have 66lbs of play sand and 20L of sphagnum peat moss in there. I'm getting him one more hide. Hes soooo much happier in there. Heres some pics!

Bosco013.jpg

Bosco066.jpg

Bosco062.jpg

Bosco050.jpg

Bosco047.jpg

Bosco001.jpg

cornking4

5 Year Member
Was he the one that had the tenacious flagellates? My tegu's had Flagyl-resistant flagellates for the past few months which was only diagnosed recently. Unfortunately they've impeded his ability to absorb calcium so he's come down with some MBD... anyway, glad to hear he's feeling better! Great looking enclosure by the way, the background really gives it depth.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
Thanks! :)
Im not sure what was wrong with him before. Someone suggested he might of caught something from his water dish. The vet here didn't know.. we dont have a herp vet here. I treated him for internal parasites and blood poisoning because they were my 2 guesses. Anyway, hes doing good now!

Adam87

5 Year Member
awsome enclosure i keep seeing savannahs i do want an argus but i may have to get another savannah cause there awsome and plus i miss larry

BOOZER

5 Year Member
great looking cage. did a cabinet maker build that? looks great. also the last pic he looks like king of his domain. glad he's doing better

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
thanks guys!
He is so much happier :) How did you know a cabinet builder made it? lol
I got a bit of a deal on.. cost a few hundred

BOOZER

5 Year Member
dragonqueen4 said:
thanks guys!
He is so much happier :) How did you know a cabinet builder made it? lol
I got a bit of a deal on.. cost a few hundred

ah yes. i'm a cabinet builder and it looks like he did a great job. nice detail on top and bottom. looks more like a piece of furniture than a cage. nice looking sav as well.

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
That's a very nice cage. You may want to put some thin flat boards over parts of the substrate. Not the whole cage, just a third or so. It will help the sand/peat mix hold humidity a bit better. It looks really great.

isdrake

5 Year Member
It looks like a furniture, cool. :)
Why do you have such a small wire door? Doesn't it make it much harder to see the monitor?

tupinambisfamiliaris

5 Year Member
Actually, from the lizard's perspective, the small viewing door is probably a benefit. He may feel more secure with so many solid walls. Perhaps it will lead to less hiding and more exploring/activity. I thought about building a solid enclosure for my ackie, but the wife was upset that she wouldn't be able to see him.

isdrake

5 Year Member
You're right. But since keeping reptiles are more like fish then it comes to keeping ("see but don't touch") it feels boring not being able to see them. I might be egoistic but I'm interested in looking at my pets. : I would much rather focus on decorating the enclosure in a way so that the reptile can feel secure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu