• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My new tegu is unhappy i think?

nlnruiz

5 Year Member
I'm very worried about my new Argentina Tegu i bought 2 days ago. the 1st day i had him he was in a pretty small cage because i was still working on his new cage. I just moved him into his new cage (nearly 4x bigger than his last one) and since I've had him i haven't seen him eat once. I tried feeding him strawberry's, eggs, tuna, and apple slices but they just sit there til I'm forced to throw em out. I haven't seen him drink either... I hope he is when I'm sleeping or at school but 98% of the time he sits in the hide box i made him and plays dead until i lift the box up to see if hes still alive. The other 2 % of the time i startle him out by checking on him and he ravages about (looks something like this :arrow: :rant " till i back off and he runs back into his hide. Also I gave him a heat lamp but it doesn't seem to be doing much, my rooms always like 85 degrees anyway because of the very bad ventilation and excessive amounts of installation should he even have the heat lamp? I CANT MAKE HIM HAPPY! :bang :hifit

GraphiK

5 Year Member
What VenomVipe said is true and it's as simple as that. You need to give the little guy some space, they can literally go weeks without eating so you don't need to worry about the little thing starving in there. Offer it food once or twice a day, if it doesn't take it no need to get worried. Taking it out while it's hiding is only going to make the situation worse. Give him a week or two to get over the moving stress, a lot of reptiles go through this.

you should still have a uvb light in the tank as well as a heat light (basking temps need to be around 95-100)

Good luck with everything! :)

-Josh

throneofjade

5 Year Member
He is probably still trying to get used to being in a different place with different things. Don't worry. Just keep doing what you are doing and he will come around. Good Luck.

AWD247

5 Year Member
You should get a bulb like the power sun, mega ray, etc. These bulbs have uva/uvb and heat. all in one. Great bulbs.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Yeah definitely get a PowerSun or some other brand of Mercury Vapor Bulb. He has to have both UVA and UVB to metabolize his food and to prevent Metabollic Bone Disease.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu