• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My poor black throat

Dana C

Poor Kinablo, my black throat monitor. He is in the middle of shed and he is miserable. His skin is coming off in patches and I am sure he is very itchy. He stayed in the bath for at least an hour during which I continually added very warm water. He finally figured out that letting me peel it off actually make him feel better. He barely ate and is grumpy. Poor guy, I don't blame him. Hopefully he will feel better tomorrow and will eat a ton like usually does.

Taming is coming along at a steady pace. I can pick him up with no tail whips or huffs and puffs. However when I do something he isn't wild about he still puffs up an hisses or exhales very deeply. The funniest thing is that the stroke I was going to give him one minute which he didn't like, 5 minutes later he loved, eyes closed, completely relaxed etc. When I put my hand in his enclosure he gets close and closes his eyes. We are bonding well but I am not pushing it as he makes it clear when he wants to do the whole lovey dovey thing.

Bntegus

Dana C said:
Poor Kinablo, my black throat monitor. He is in the middle of shed and he is miserable. His skin is coming off in patches and I am sure he is very itchy. He stayed in the bath for at least an hour during which I continually added very warm water. He finally figured out that letting me peel it off actually make him feel better. He barely ate and is grumpy. Poor guy, I don't blame him. Hopefully he will feel better tomorrow and will eat a ton like usually does.

Taming is coming along at a steady pace. I can pick him up with no tail whips or huffs and puffs. However when I do something he isn't wild about he still puffs up an hisses or exhales very deeply. The funniest thing is that the stroke I was going to give him one minute which he didn't like, 5 minutes later he loved, eyes closed, completely relaxed etc. When I put my hand in his enclosure he gets close and closes his eyes. We are bonding well but I am not pushing it as he makes it clear when he wants to do the whole lovey dovey thing.

dont worry dana monitors dont shed as easy as tegus he might of had more then one shed on him. doing a great job keep it up.

Dana C

He might indeed had more than one. His old skin is coming off in either small flakes or in 1" or so pieces. Like I said, while huffs, puffs, pisses and moans about me helping, he does nothing to stop me including moving away. It is sort of grudging acquiescence to my help.

Interestingly, he lets me trim his nails or at least some of them, without objection. Your earlier comment about them really having personalities is really true. I get no end of amazement about his bonding process with me. As I said, one hour I am a monster who he will have nothing to do with and an hour later he will climb onto my lap in the bathroom, close his eyes and snooze. His tail whips are sort of half assed now. They are slow and have no real energy or intent to hurt in them. As I said before, Kinabo closes his eyes and at least seems to really enjoy the interaction....in his time of course. I can pick him up at will and he is fine with the whole thing and even being a svannah reptile he has learned to love his hot baths.
Yep, a hot bath, a monster crap followed by a meal....he is living large.
I look into his eyes and see the wheels turning. I have heard that they along with Komodo's are the most intelligent of all reptiles. I don't know but Kinabo's display of emotion is certainly a sign of higher intelligence. Gordo my big Tegu boy is the same. He problem solves. He has figured out how to slide back the doors on his cage and if I am not careful he will be cruising around. Actually, he cracks me up. He is a lot like Homer Simpson....doo dupe teedoo. He is built for comfort not speed and his favorite place in the world is conking out in my arms.

Oh yes, for all the "doubting Thomas'" his basking area is 135f and the cool end is just over 80.

m3s4

I've found that rubbing coconut oil on them really aids in shedding - at least for my tegus.

It's got its' own anti-bacteriological properties as well.

A little goes along way and it really helps to keep their shedding skin soft and moist as well as give a nice sheen to the new skin.

I use it weekly on my tegus just to condition their skin.

Consider giving it a try, I think you'll be happy with the results - just keep it above 75 degrees or thereabouts so it stays in liquid form and doesn't solidify. If it does, just rub some in your hands and it will melt quickly enough.

hyperhitman

Question? New owner, what kinda oil do u use, is it for Tegu hand li bhai zards in general or is for human and it harmless to the lizard? My Tegu is not shedding yet but would like to some so I'm prepared in case it needs a little help. Thanks

m3s4

hyperhitman said:
Question? New owner, what kinda oil do u use, is it for Tegu hand li bhai zards in general or is for human and it harmless to the lizard? My Tegu is not shedding yet but would like to some so I'm prepared in case it needs a little help. Thanks

I just use regular pure virgin coconut oil. It's 100% coconut oil, 100% natural, fully organic and totally safe for consumption in both animals and people alike. It's also perfectly safe for oral applications and is extremely good at moisturizing skin - including reptiles.

I find on top of being an excellent moisturizer, it works extremely well for shedding conditions on known problematic areas those being mainly toes and tail.

m3s4

frost said:
where do you get it at?

You have two choices, order it online or buy it at the super-market.

Typically it's about 5$ for 16oz. and that's enough to last a very long time. I've had one jar of it for over a year now.

A little goes a long way and this is a very nice product to keep your tegus skin supple, shiny and healthy.

I avoid putting it around their heads because I don't want any oil getting into their eyes/ears.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Proper enclosure, humidity, and diet is all that is needed for good sheds. Nobody is rubbing oil on them in the wild.

Dana C

You are right James. I did some additional reading and heard from other Varanus owners. Varanids don't shed like Tegus. Instead of huge pieces their dead skin come off in patches depending on where on their body it is coming from.
Hot is the order of the day in their enclosure and humidity is to be on the low side. They are primarily savannah and desert dwellers and are used to fairly dry conditons.
My boy stayed in the bath, a very warm, (too hot for me) for well over an hour yesterday and I misted his cage multiple times as well. By this AM most of the old skin was off him and he acted like a much more happy camper.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
They do require humidity, which is very hard to provide in an enclosure with 130+ basking temps. The key is deep, burrowable substrate so that they can burrow down and hydrate that way. Dehydration is one of the top killers of captive Varanids.

Do you mind describing your enclosure and maybe posting some pics of possible?

Bntegus

james.w said:
They do require humidity, which is very hard to provide in an enclosure with 130+ basking temps. The key is deep, burrowable substrate so that they can burrow down and hydrate that way. Dehydration is one of the top killers of captive Varanids.

Do you mind describing your enclosure and maybe posting some pics of possible?

james hit the nail on the head. the have to borrow they do not need humiity in the air the will get what they need under it is called mass tegus need the same. you need to go outside and get some good sandy clay like dirt if any off this makes sence lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu