• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

need help might buy carpet python.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've never owned one personally... though I've met a couple and had a close friend for several years who had one...

Their reputation is they can be nippy when young (I've never known a yonug one personally) but by the time they are large enough for a bite to matter, they loose their 'nippiness'...

They get long, but are much less robust than most constrictors. So a 7' Carpet will be a lot less snake to deal with than a 7' Boa Constrictor...

Provided their basic needs are met, they tend to make great pets. I've never known of an aggressive adult Carpet Python...

I'd highly suggest holding out to talk to someone with ample first hand experience owning and raising them, or even better breeding them, but I can vouch for them enough to say they are certainly worth looking into!

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can ask here and it might help others down the road as well as yourself. I kept a jungle carpet python for a couple years some time ago. Fairly easy and straightforward species to keep, very beautiful and don't get so large as to be unmanageable. What specific questions did you have?

turtlepunk

I have a coastal carpet, he's still pretty young AND VERY NIPPY. But he's also extremely curious. He's not afraid to go up to me but as soon as I reach my hand out to him He bites. He also musks me A LOT. They're also semi-arboreal. He Loves to perch on his branch. But I know they can make awesome pets as soon as they (hopefully) grow out of their nippy phase =)

adam1120

nvm he sold him some guy in my town was selling him for 60 cus he didnt have room for the babys anymore it the 75 % irian jaya jag and the female is is pure coastal:D they both very nice colors:D

Big Dave

I have a Jungle, he is about a year old and scares the s%&# out of everyone in my house but me. He puts on a big show , lunges at you and so forth but I have figured out its just a bluff. Hasn't bit me. Once you pick him up he is very curious. They can move FAST, I think this is what freaks my wife out. He is not like a Ball Python by any means. Make sure you start feeding him rats, not mice right away. When they get big you'll go broke feeding mice:) I found after I pick him up I just walk around the house with him and he forgets that I'm holding him and just wants to look at everything. I just find him more entertaining than my Ball.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont