• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New Member Needs Advice.

dallenjarrett

Hey Everyone,
I am expecting my new Columbian Black & White to show up in 3 days. I currently have a 75 Gallon long glass tank to use for him as a hatchling. Having a 6 X 3 X 3 cage built within 6 months. I was just wondering though how I might set up the tank for his arrival. I have been doing some research and have decided on using the cypress mulch at about 6 inchs deep evenly. I'm also going to custom build him a square hide with a basking spot on top. My main issue I'm having problems deciding on is how to set up a soaking tub inside the cage. I am wanting to acquire a tub that will be big enough and than build a frame that will hold the tub up, kinda like a bath tub will be installed, about 1 inch above the substrate level. Just wanting to get some ideas from the community. This will be my first Tegu, but not my first lizard.

Deac77

5 Year Member
It's good that your building the final cage quickly. Tegus grow incredibly fast so you'll need it faster than you think!

As for substrate I'd use sand/soil mix instead of cypress. The mulch can be ingested and be dangerous.

For basking spots make sure and use a cluster lighting style and aim for 120-130 surface temps.

As for the water spot it sounds like you've got a great idea! You can use a small Rubbermaid tub and build the support casing around it then throw in a nice filter to keep the water moving (they seem to prefer moving sources)

dallenjarrett

Thanks for the info, I'll look into the sand/soil mix. I'll start building his cage once I have my other done. I have a 8 Foot red tail boa who needs the extra room. As for a filter, could I use an aquarium style filter. I know they are likely to drink in the tub also, so I had been looking at filtration. I look forward to having him for as long as he will let me so I want to do it right the first time. I already have a colony of roaches who are breeding well, and make frequent stops at the local pet shop for mice for my snakes. I've seen a lot on feeding and wonder if you have some advice on that subject I could use. Thanks again.

Deac77

5 Year Member
Yea a aquarium filter should work fine. I like the 510 filter from zoomed for turtles (order online for cheap lol) since it's a small canister style.

As for diet avoid ground meats and organs stick to whole prey

dallenjarrett

Will do! The sand/soil mixture, I have been researching since you told me about it. I am just looking for a regular top soil that's basically plain dirt? Also one more feeding question. I see a lot of debate on veggies/fruits when they get older. Is there any truth to this?

Deac77

5 Year Member
I use this (it's at lowes) mixed with rinsed play sand
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403928684.918559.jpg

Deac77

5 Year Member
Colombians don't eat much fruit, some will take it but most don't. Feel free to offer it but don't be discouraged if they don't eat it.

dallenjarrett

I was actually looking at the hapigro, well I guess you just confirmed that for me. I have a lot of purchasing to do tomorrow. I'll offer a little bit of everything when he gets to that point and see how he reacts. Thanks again for your help! Much appreciated.

dallenjarrett

First purchase of the morning, also ordered a twin dome light with a 5.0 UVB, daytime basking light. And I have another dome with a nighttime light. Just got to build basking spot and should be complete

Attachments

• 20140628_113046.jpg
    20140628_113046.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 21

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu