• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New tegu

bubbategu2

5 Year Member
Hi guys! It's been a while since I've posted anything but I need help. I got a new tegu a couple of days ago from someone that needed to re-home one of theirs. I think they got "her" as a rescue. I'm saying her but I don't know the sex yet and neither did they. This is a B&W Argentine, approx 2 years old (I think). She looks very healthy, not overly friendly. This is the problem-when I got her home I let her wander in my lizard room while I did last minute stuff to her cage. I noticed she was making very exaggerated steps (big steps) and actually falling over to the left when walking. She did it moving fast or slow. I put her up in her cage with heat and figured I'd just let her be for a while. I got back in touch with the couple I got her from and they said "all stressed tegus do that" and that she had always been that way with them, especially if she was looking at them. I've never seen any of my tegus do this weird walking and falling over but I'm no expert so I thought I would put it out to you all and get some feedback. She has eaten a med F/T mouse and fruit and drank water, peed but basically just stays in her hide and doesn't want much to do with me, which is ok for now but what do you all think? She doesn't look like she has MBD but again, no expert here and I don't have a lot of money to take her to the vet right now. Any thoughts?

lilgonz

I am by far not an expert, but I have seen this before, it turned out that the Gu was not getting enough UV from the bulbs that I had been using, I changed the bulbs and up the calcium sup and that seemed to help. Hope this help, but once again I'm not an expert.

I'm sure other on here will also give you some great ideas, but if does continue I would seek a vet visit.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would give her some time to adjust to her new home 2-3 weeks. Just feed her, spot clean, and give fresh water. After that if things don't look better I would consider a vet visit. What is your setup like, temps, substrate, bulbs and what are you food plans with her.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When you say she is walking and leaning, is she arched up? my tegus Will walk like that it they feel threatened, it makes them look bigger, they will walk sorta leaned to the side with their backs arched and their head low

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Got any pics? There may be something going on other than what the previous owners know and or are telling you.

It sounds like malnutrition and or lack of UV to me. Natuski had the same issues when I got him. You could tell he was struggling, unsure footed, wobbly and he fell over quite a bit the first couple of days. He also use to hold his tail up off the ground trying to balance. But he was very under weight and malnourished.

Now that he's better its down and he drags it behind him like they usually do. He's walking normal and practically running around the back yard when he's out.

(Hey!,.. the edit button is back :) )

new2tegus

Hate to say this, but if none of the previous descriptions fit, could be an issue with ears or neurological. So like they said give her time and uvb and watch her.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sounds like an possible ear issue but really does sound like adult calcium deffiancy. In adult lizards Ca is not needed much for bone remodling because the bones are fully formed. There is some Ca needed to keep them strong as our body will use it for other things. One important use of Ca is nurological firing, ie making it so nerves can send signals. When blood Ca is too low you can get nurlogical symtoms.

WHat you could be seeing is a defensive posture (the arching to look larger and the curveing) combined with poor nerve fintion which will equal stumbling.

Best corse of action would be to let her rest for a bit with good UV and a well balanced diet with some added Ca. If things look to be going down hill fast, get her to a vet ASAP.

bubbategu2

5 Year Member
Thanks for the input, guys. I was kinda wondering if it could be neurological as well but she seems to get around ok, even if she does curl up and fall over. Maybe it is a defensive thing. I'll just give it a bit to see if she gets used to me and calms down. Keep ya posted...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu