• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

new to reptiles... just bought a tegu. help please

sillysallie

5 Year Member
moto_0055.jpg
no stripe

moto_0056.jpg
one scale

you guys are so right!

wow i know nothing about the columbians. i dont even know what they eat! i was being so careful, i did so much research. that sorta sucks oh well geuss i gotta do some more research.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
sillysallie said:
lol feel free to tell me a little bit about the columbian black and white.

Sally, if he was sold to you as an Argentine, I would return him, he is not an Argentine. However, if you would like to keep him, we will be more than glad to help you with him.

sillysallie

5 Year Member
VARNYARD said:
sillysallie said:
lol feel free to tell me a little bit about the columbian black and white.

Sally, if he was sold to you as an Argentine, I would return him, he is not an Argentine. However, if you would like to keep him, we will be more than glad to help you with him.

the guy i bought him from raised him from a baby and as far as i can tell he honestly thought he was an Argentine. The only thing I am concerned about is its health because i know that the two species have different diets and other requirements. I also might be concerned about price differences because as far as i can tell Columbians are cheaper because of the almost complete halt on importing the Argentines. I am leaning toward keeping him though because he/she really has a cool personality so far. We fell in love with him not knowing what he was at all. i am not sure yet what I am going to do.

sillysallie

5 Year Member
VARNYARD,

I emailed you a while back talking about buying this lizard and asking a few questions about your Argentine black and whites. Now that we have been suprised about the species of the lizard we have now I am pretty sure that I want to purchase one from you. I was looking forward to everything I learned about the Argentine black and whites and now that I dont have one I am pretty sure that I would like to. So I was wondering have your lizards mated or laid any eggs yet?

COWHER

5 Year Member
I wouldnt let him go for more than a few days without uv. if you are going to get the uv bulb on thursday I would say thats ok but I have never let my tegu go with out for more that a day total.

leave the temp probe in all the time.

he or she should be out of site for it to feel the security that a hide instills make sure your Cypress mulch is deep enough for it to dig in and cover its body with

I am 90% sure its a Colombian tegu.. what do you think?

COLOMBIAN TEGU
278009228.jpg

ARGENTINE TEGU
272990518.jpg

KoreanDeathKid

5 Year Member
I think bobby does have some eggs being incubated at the moment, but he will have much more in the near future
that is indeed a columbian tegu and they're known to be carnivores, your best chance of getting him to eat healthy is feeding him good sized mice lots of worms, and other kind of meat product like ground turkey, etc
he will probably grow up to the size of 3 feet average and will need a 6x3x3 enclosure that will hold humidity pretty well

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Thats a Col. B&W.. Hope you didnt pay and arm and a leg for him. and he wont reach 5 feet... maybe about 3

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
There is a ton of information on Columbians on this site, you will just have to dig. Their requirements are almost identical to argentines except they have no interest in anything that isn't breathing or at least was breathing at one time. I have a Columbian that I've been spending a lot of time with just to squash people's dislike of them. There is no doubt that they are "wilder" than argentines, but are simple to acclimate to captivity (not tame..) and can be wonderful pets. Don't sell him short just because he's a Columbian.

angelrose

5 Year Member
ApriliaRufo said:
are simple to acclimate to captivity (not tame..) and can be wonderful pets. Don't sell him short just because he's a Columbian.

hi sillysallie, I have had my colombian going on four years now. we are insparable. their spunky ! their fun. she is my pride and joy.

and I am always looking for more colombians.

AB^

5 Year Member
angelrose said:
ApriliaRufo said:
are simple to acclimate to captivity (not tame..) and can be wonderful pets. Don't sell him short just because he's a Columbian.

hi sillysallie, I have had my colombian going on four years now. we are insparable. their spunky ! their fun. she is my pride and joy.

and I am always looking for more colombians.

ha, spunky!!

:p

sillysallie

5 Year Member
hey guys thank you so much for all the info and feedback.

Well here is what is going on right now. We are busy doing research about the Columbians as we speak. We are not sure about what we are going to do because we did pay alot of money for Rocky (Thats his/her name for now. The name he came with). We paid $300.00 for him, a 48 gallon tank, a half log, and three dishes. I am thinking that we got ripped off, do you think the same? If you guys could tell me if you think that they really ripped us off we will go in and talk to the store because I honestly think this has all been a mix up. The owner of the store has raised rocky from a baby. I think he honestly didn't know.

I would also like to know about if any of you have gotten your tegus as adults and how they react to a new home. Rocky just buries himself into his bedding and sleeps all day.

angelrose

5 Year Member
you got ripped off.

yes, this is normal behavior. you should have the cypress deep enough to cover their body. they like to dig and burrow. give him time it's a new home for him.

dorton

5 Year Member
Yes, I saw them by the hundreds at a reptile show today for $20-30.
There are people here that prove they can be great, and even had me eyeing some today, but they are not $300 tegus.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Yea that's a little steep, but it saddens me to think that the store will probably give you two options, give it all back and they'll give you the money back, or "tough sh**". It would be nice just to get some of the money back and be able to keep him... Too many Columbians meet the exact same fate and go back to the store for yet another buyer who get sold something they don't get. Hmph.... sad and frustrating. I got my Col from Ben and I think we paid 65$ shipped?

angelrose

5 Year Member
or

if things don't work out with the store and / or your not happy with rocky then I would gladly buy him from you.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
angelrose said:
or

if things don't work out with the store and / or your not happy with rocky then I would gladly buy him from you.

That would work too, I guess XD

*hugs angelrose*

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980