• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

New to the scene

Pokersnake

I recently picked up a young Red at a local exotic shop and I have a few slight concerns. I breed ball pythons so reptiles arent foreign to me but this is my first tegu. I have had him (or her) for a few weeks and he seems very healthy. My main concern is that her seems to burrow and hide a lot. I am using a soil substrate rather then cypress because cypress seems to be extinct around here. I have been feeding ground turkey with calcium powder every other day and FT fuzzy mice once or twice a week. This week he seems to have very little interest in the turkey and a little interest in the mice. Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

His temps are 80 ambient with a 110 hot spot. Housed in a 40 gallon breeder. And if it matters he seems to be borrowed under the watter blowl most of the time. (cold side)

Sorry if I seem like a noob but well, I am with these guys.

katoeLAZARO

I try to feed mine fruits and veggies. Also insects like mealworms and crickets. That's me though he seems to like it. Not a much interest in veggies.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine favors mice/chicks over turkey a well. I only feed turkey once a week. I would also recommend trying insects, roaches and crickets are easy to get.

What are you using for UVB?

Pokersnake

james.w said:
Mine favors mice/chicks over turkey a well. I only feed turkey once a week. I would also recommend trying insects, roaches and crickets are easy to get.

What are you using for UVB?

Im using 18" exoterra 10.0 UVB bulbs.

He doesnt seem to care for crickets but I will try meal worms today. Should I be feeding every day or every other?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Try getting some dubia roaches. I would feed every day.

How far away are you UVB bulbs?

Pokersnake

james.w said:
Try getting some dubia roaches. I would feed every day.

How far away are you UVB bulbs?

I would say between 12 and 14 inches away. Not that he is out and under it much. Last night he had a few bites of turkey. Not as much as he has befor but as long as he eats Im a lot less worried

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrdy