• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

night time heating concern

amberk

Hello, My name is Amber and I'm new here and have an awesome extreme giant girl named Peach. I have a concern! She came out of hibernation a week ago. She ate really good on day three of being out of hibernation. She is almost a year old. A little back story. We built her an 8x4 foot wood cage with glass doors. She has cypress mulch to burrow in. We had her in a 40 breeder in the living room and was hoping to move her to her new enclosure in the spring. So here is my question. After she ate, her reptile uv light in her 40 breeder tank went out and our back up light did not work... So we had to move her into her nice big enclosure a bit early. She was 3 days out from hibernation and just ate. Her new enclosure is in an add on room of the house and the temps in there are about 5-10 degrees cooler than the house even with a space heater in the room. It has been two days since she ate and has not come out. Im worried we threw her back into hibernation with food in her belly. The day time temps in her new cage are 70 on cool side and 100 in basking, the night time temps however are between 59-65 degrees the last two nights. Should I get a ceramic heat bulb for night? What about the food in her belly? Im worried!

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
amberk said:
Hello, My name is Amber and I'm new here and have an awesome extreme giant girl named Peach. I have a concern! She came out of hibernation a week ago. She ate really good on day three of being out of hibernation. She is almost a year old. A little back story. We built her an 8x4 foot wood cage with glass doors. She has cypress mulch to burrow in. We had her in a 40 breeder in the living room and was hoping to move her to her new enclosure in the spring. So here is my question. After she ate, her reptile uv light in her 40 breeder tank went out and our back up light did not work... So we had to move her into her nice big enclosure a bit early. She was 3 days out from hibernation and just ate. Her new enclosure is in an add on room of the house and the temps in there are about 5-10 degrees cooler than the house even with a space heater in the room. It has been two days since she ate and has not come out. Im worried we threw her back into hibernation with food in her belly. The day time temps in her new cage are 70 on cool side and 100 in basking, the night time temps however are between 59-65 degrees the last two nights. Should I get a ceramic heat bulb for night? What about the food in her belly? Im worried!
Night temps are too low if she came out of hibernation. Raise basking temp to about 105-110, and cool side around 80. Night temps to around 75. I use brooder lamps with red or black night time spot bulbs to maintain night temps. Spot bulbs project more heat to the substrate than ceramic heat emitters and use less wattage. Don't let her go back to hibernation with food in her belly.

amberk

I was wrong, ambient temp during the day is around 75 and a spot of 100, but I agree to low on temps. Just wasnt sure of what bulb to get. Thanks for your reply.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Yes...dubya just helped me on this one too :) niles is technically still down BUT i moved him into his big cage from a 40 breeder like you. Temps are getting to be 73 or something with a CHE at night so I'm switching to a 150 watt night bulb instead.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu