• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Nutritional Information about Ground Turkey

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Here's some interesting information I found about Ground Turkey.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/poultry-products/931/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/poul ... ucts/931/2</a><!-- m -->

Jefroka

5 Year Member
I always buy the leanest I can get, no more than 20% fat content, sometimes 7%.

...Jefroka

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
They're showing turkey that is 50% fat!!!!

I see where it says 50% fat & 50% protein...

Does that really what it looks like it means?

In my area we have 85% fat free & 93% fat free to choose from...

So giving me information about 50% fat free doesn't see to do me any good and not clarifying that they are talking about exceptionally low grade Ground Turkey makes this information seem horribly misleading...

It's hard for me to believe they mean 50% Fat free meat... but it's hard for me to read it otherwise...

Confusing...

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It says 676 calories with 338 from fat, that's 50% of the calories from fat, unless fat has much more calories per gram that the meat.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
IÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢m not sureÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

The Nutrition Facts chart on the left says:

Total Fat 37 gramsÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ 58% of your daily valueÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

But the Caloric Ration Pyramid says:

Fats 50% ; Proteins 50%

Then if you scroll down to Protein & Amino Acids is says:

Protein 79.2 grams which is 158%

ItÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s obviously not 50% farÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ as there is only 37 grams of fat per 1 lb (454 grams)

I agree it appears to be around 8% fatÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

But how is it Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?â??50% Fat ; 50% ProteinÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?ÂÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

When there is 37 grams of fat and 79.2 grams of Protein?

RegardlessÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ I think we should ignore the daily percentages, since they are all in regards to a human beings needs based on a 2,000 calorie per day dietÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ not Tegus needsÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

ItÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s nice to have the Vitamins and Minerals it contains listedÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ Although honestly it doesnÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢t tell me much as I donÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢t know specifically what all a Tegu needs nor the quantities it needsÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
OOOOk then. No need to get technical, but it shows roughly whats in it.

There isnt anything online that shows what tegus need... this is just something to look at to see whats inside the ground turkey.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think itÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s important to understand what you are looking atÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ or else it has no valueÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

When Dave suggested it was 50% fat, I saw what he saw and felt it was worth figuring out.

Because of that we found that the Turkey being described is 8% fat, not 50%. Good thing we got technical and didnÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢t just assume that 50% fat meant 50% fat, huh?

It was acknowledged that regardless of details, it gives us a list of whatÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s in Ground Turkey. It was also acknowledged that most of us donÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢t know what all Tegus need, so itÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢s limitedly beneficialÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ but beneficial none the lessÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

It seems some people on this forum are quick to criticize conversations taking placeÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ No one said this was a bad thread or contained bad informationÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦ weÃ?¢ââ??‰â??¢re just trying to get the most out of itÃ?¢ââ??¬Ã?¦

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok guys, no need to bicker here.

The ground turkey ratio I feed are 70/40. The fat is needed in the diet, fat = energy. Pure protein is not good by itself because tegus need the fat too. You must understand about the metabolism of the fat to understand it is useful in the diet in moderation. 50/50 is a bit high of a ratio, but 93/7 is too low IMO.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu