• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

One tegu hibernateing one not!

brutus13

This is my first year with Tegus! They are doing great and one is growing like a monster. Both are hatchlings from Bobby one extreme & one all America. My extreme has stopped eating and sleeps all day. She has not grown in two weeks. I'm assuming she's going to hibernate. What do I do for her? If she is not getting UVB because she is curled up in her blanket will she get MBD? Do I need to put her in another cage since my other is still active? I woke her up yesterday and she ate a pinky and I soaked her outside. I don't want anything to happen to her and she is so little (17"). I have never had a hibernating reptile before. Advice please.

G

its not a very good idea to feed them while there trying to hibernate.from what i heard the food does not digest while there doing that.the food will rot in their stomach....im not 100% on this tho but im sure someone else will chime in.

brutus13

Yes I've heard of that as well but she ate it does that mean she's hungry? We feed both of them everyday? My other tegu is doing great. If that's the case now what do I do with her since she did eat. I don't want it to rot in her tummy.

G

Some times they don't hibernate and just slow down [brumate ] as long as they get up and eat I would let them ..I would keep the light going if at least one was up ..

G

well one way to get them to get rid of it is to soak em in a warm bath.this is how most vets get a fecal sample.if it doesnt come out at first wait a day and try it again.

brutus13

montana said:
Some times they don't hibernate and just slow down [brumate ] as long as they get up and eat I would let them ..I would keep the light going if at least one was up ..

I keep my lights on for my other gu that's not slowing down. But I woke her up to give her the pinky. Is that really bad?

brutus13

frost said:
well one way to get them to get rid of it is to soak em in a warm bath.this is how most vets get a fecal sample.if it doesnt come out at first wait a day and try it again.

Right I will give her another day then I will soak her. Then just leave her alone right? That's just crazy to me. Thanks for all your help!

slideaboot

5 Year Member
brutus13 said:
Yes I've heard of that as well but she ate it does that mean she's hungry? We feed both of them everyday? My other tegu is doing great. If that's the case now what do I do with her since she did eat. I don't want it to rot in her tummy.

Tegus know (much better than we humans) about tegu hibernation. I wouldn't worry about the stomach rot thing. If your tegu isn't ready to hibernate, it won't. If it is, then it will.

brutus13

Thanks slideaboot. I just want the best for my gu! Next year will be so much easier!!! Like I said this is our first hibernation.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
brutus13 said:
Thanks slideaboot. I just want the best for my gu! Next year will be so much easier!!! Like I said this is our first hibernation.

No problem...I had a billion questions last year. I totally get it.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's your choice to seperate the Tegus for winter or keep them together. as long as the "hibernation" hide is on the cool end of the enclsoure during the day.

In the winter, I keep UVB lamps on for at least a few hours in the day time... As metabolism drops so does UVB (or Vit D) requirenments.

If I need my Tegu to wake up to 'empty' itself I've found pouring warm water on his hide will usually wake him up in the mood to do so.

In the winter, if he is sleeping there is no need to wake him up to eat. It's also common for them to wake up, bask for a while and not eat. Feel free to offer food when he wakes up, just make sure he 'empties' himself when he eats.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214