• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

opinions on this article

Two Bananas Marinade

5 Year Member
<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rainforest-pets.com/tegu-lizards.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.rainforest-pets.com/tegu-lizards.htm</a><!-- w -->

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
im not sure who wrote this article but it has quite a few misleading points for instance a red tegu is not the largest tegu, b/w tegus grow to 4'+ not 3-3 1/2' , a 4x4x2 cage would not work for an adult tegu, they are not aggresive, and male tegus can be housed together(there are a few members on here that are doing even bobby if im not mistaking) , you should never feed a tegu a diet of rodents, and you definatly dont just toss em in the cage there are many more but you guys get the point.

Meg90

5 Year Member
I have heard that reds are larger than black and whites---Bobby told me that actually, when I was talking to him before Cleo, on what kind of tegu I wanted.

I didn't think the article was that bad...

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i know they can get bigger than b/w but my point was there not the largest tegu and their is some imformation in there that is a little off or just wrong. im not saying its all bad but suppose someone stumbled upon it doing research for a future tegu some of the information in there could lead them down the wrong path( if they didnt do further research) is all im saying

Meg90

5 Year Member
Are you saying that the largest are Bobby's giants?

Some of the info was iffy, but that's why there are more sites out there to compare, and forums like these, where you can ask direct questions.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i just think that who ever wrote this should have done a bit more research as a reptile keeper(like yourself and most of the people here) i would prefer an article describing an animal that i myself love dearly to be more accurate and give proper advice on proper husbandry and care for an animal and there are too many iffy points for myself . thats why im glad bobby and tegutalk are availble

Meg90

5 Year Member
Take nose of the copyright date--2005. I'm sure that was the most advanced thing 5 years ago. For the publication date, its not terrible information.

The basics are correct, there are some stickler time facts that need tweaking, but overall I think the information is still usable.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
LOL i remember reading this article when i was first looking at getting a tegu so many years back. Not to age myself here but about 5/6 years ago most people when they herd tegu it was what is now known as the columbian which is what this article is basing its info on. Which explains the 3 1/2' lenght. The cage is actully correct even for an arg. 4x4x3 is the same as a 8x2x3 square footage wise, bigger is always better. even still its bigger than the 6x2x2 cages i've seen being the new suggestion.

So this article is not bad for a colubian tegu, which is what it seems to be based off of. Back in the day getting an Arg Tegu was hard and expensive. Giants weren't sold as such untill dedicated breeders came around, so the Red was for a long time cosidered the longest and larger of the speices. In general watching the changes in Tegu husbadery over the years has also been a joy to watch.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
The article is almost entirely wrong to be honest I believe by "The Black Tegu" they mean Columbians, and not to start a fight, Bobby's Giant's don't necessarily get bigger because they have the word giant in their name. I am sure there are some reds or black and whites that are bigger than some giants and vice versa. I honestly don't believe that the giants are much more than a slightly different colored black and white. Just my honest opinion.... If someone would like to DNA test an example of each species and prove that they are a different species go ahead...

lazyjr52

5 Year Member
I think Meg90 and chelvis said it best. For a 2005 article it reallly is'nt that bad considering at that time tegus were still pretty ''rare''. And chelvis is correct about the cage size also.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i was under the expression that an adult tegu minimum cage size should be 8x4x4 and i agree this would be good for a columbian and i didnt see the copyright date and i understand some of the errors. with that said the title should be changed to columbian tegu. but as for an argentine tegu this info is not good.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
TeguKid80 said:
The article is almost entirely wrong to be honest I believe by "The Black Tegu" they mean Columbians, and not to start a fight, Bobby's Giant's don't necessarily get bigger because they have the word giant in their name. I am sure there are some reds or black and whites that are bigger than some giants and vice versa. I honestly don't believe that the giants are much more than a slightly different colored black and white. Just my honest opinion.... If someone would like to DNA test an example of each species and prove that they are a different species go ahead...

i somewhat agree i do believe that some b/w may get as big as bobbys giants but with comparisons that i have seen there arnt many i havnt seen a b/w go beyond 5' (not saying there arnt any) but i have seen a few that got really close. i would like to see a dna test and a proper scale count to see if they are indeed seperate species. i give it another 4-5 years and we'll have alot more info on the tegu species

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think size isn't really all the important honestly. I got a blue male who is getting close to 4 1/2' no one told him that blues are suppose to be small. Honestly when you get a Extrem Giant from bobby you know your getting a healthy animal thats the most imporant thing isn't it? Plus he also says its a sperate local which means genticaly they are almost all idedical (small changes but not enough to say its a different speices). So ya there's going to be large B&Ws and Large Reds thats statiscally normal, on average Giants get alightly larger.

TeguKid80

5 Year Member
He also cannot factually prove they are a different locale and there name is "Extreme Giants" size does matter here...

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
well i still havnt seen or heard of anyone with a b/w or red that was over 5' i always see 4' or 4 1/2' and i also never seen an adult b/w or red next to a giant for size comparison but i will say bobbys giants are magnificent you can tell by the pictures that they are definatly larger than the reds and b/w and bigger dosnt always meen lenght wise they are more stockier. but if booby says they are the largest then i would go with his opinion until it is credibily disputed, he is by far a outstanding breeder and deals with all three animals so i think he knows what he is talking about. and to chevis i agree the health of a tegu should be the most important thing, not how big they are or who is bigger.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu