• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Pink Urates (W/Pics)

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Sloan (my baby male beardie) has been having pink urates lately. Any idea of what the cause could be?

3391753731_6965c19e85.jpg

3392563716_2e278f2512.jpg

ashesc212

5 Year Member
ObsessionDragons said:
You haven't by any chance given him any reddish colored food or fluid lately? Like cranberries, red pedialyte, anything like that?

Nope - that's the thing. He eats collard greens (well I try to get him to eat them at least), crickets, silkworms, phoenix worms, and baby dubias. At first I thought that it is possible that the dubias were causing it. I still have food mixtures that I feed my colony from the dubia vendors, which I think includes dog food. Dog food has red dye in it often times, so I was wondering if that is what it could be. I've stopped feeding the roaches that mixture, however. I haven't fed Sloan dubias in a few days either...trying to rule things out and his urates are still pinkish.

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
Hm...well, hopefully Tracie will reply quickly and have some insight.

I did notice that is urates are of a thicker "consistency". Is that normal for him? What kind of calcium are you giving him? I know there's one in particular that makes the urates harder like that, but can't think of the name of it. Do you think that might have anything to do with it?

ashesc212

5 Year Member
ObsessionDragons said:
Hm...well, hopefully Tracie will reply quickly and have some insight.

I did notice that is urates are of a thicker "consistency". Is that normal for him? What kind of calcium are you giving him? I know there's one in particular that makes the urates harder like that, but can't think of the name of it. Do you think that might have anything to do with it?

I've been using Zoomed w/D3 lately. That was an unusually thick one. They are not usually like that. He doesn't drink his water though. That's part of his problem. I soak him and use an eyedropper for water on a daily basis and he just refuses to lap it up!

I hope she responds soon too!

ObsessionDragons

5 Year Member
I don't think that's the one that causes the funky urates. Have you tried misting his greens at all, so that they're exceptionally wet when he eats them, or does he eat them at all? I've got a girl like that...won't drink water for anything, but LOVES really wet greens.

Edit: I just re-read and saw where you said he's not full onto greens yet. Try some of the stinkier ones like mustards and turnips...those will almost always get their attention. The more they smell up the refrigerator, the more attractive they are to the younger crowd.

Will he eat any pellets at all? You may want to try soaking pellets in a watered down apple juice...ours started loving pellets because of that, and it got them some extra fluids, as well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu