• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Please help...

skippy

5 Year Member
if it's eating you're probably fine. columbians don't tame down like argentines and when they're that small they are especially nervous.

keep it well fed, handle it gently on a regular basis, don't worry about it trying to hide from you-it's a reptile, that's what they do most times.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have to disagree Colombians can tame down and they do. I had one, you could take her any where and hand her off to anyone and she was fine.

With that said they take more time and patience than some other tegus. Like I said on your other thread you have to take things slow, its still a baby that sees you as a predator. When ever you're around him take your time and move slow. Spend time sitting next to the enclosure, reading a book or watching tv. When you're cleaning the enclosure move slow and don't try to pick him up or anything just leave him be.

I know some people say not too but if you have to feed him inside his enclosure for now then do so. I don't know what kind of substrate you have but put a paper towel or something under its bowl so it doesn't ingest any. Watch to make sure he's not a messy eater, thrashing and spreading stuff around. If so clean it up when he's done. Try to get him use to you being in his enclosure before stressing him out outside of it. If you haven't placed an article of clothing that you have worn in his enclosure do that. As well as spending some time just sitting by with your hand inside his enclosure. Once again not trying to pick him up or anything for 5 or 10 mins a day. When he calms down (go slow) and move a little closer.

It'll take A Lot of time and Patience but you can get there. Which will make it that much more rewarding when he finally does come around. :-D

Also Colombians don't hibernate but they do brumate and or slow down for the winter.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu