• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Post Hibernation Behavior

Murkve

Hey guys,

I've seen a lot of topics devoted to discussing what it looks like when a Tegu is ready to hibernate, but very little about normal goings on when a Tegu is beginning to wake up.

Seeing as Sigourney has been out for the last 2 days, I'm going to guess that she might be waking up. I'm concerned, however, at how lethargic and weak she seems. Is this normal? She's gotten better since yesterday since she got some water in her, but I am worried that lying like a lizard lump on a log (alliteration FTW), and occasionally plodding around is indicative of a larger problem.

Should I be worried? What were your Tegus like the for the first week or so after 3 months of sleep?

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles decided to wake up a few days in a row...ate one cricket...drank a ton. I put heat and uvb back on. Now he's decided to go back to sleep again. No sign of basking etc for days now. I keep doing the light/heat schedule anyway just in case. There are a couple of crickets in there too, so.... and yes he acted all sleepy and walking funny at first.then in a couple days I had him out and he was alert and walking about but still kind of slower than before hibernation. I say just wait it out and make sure always has fresh water available. I left the crickets cuz i think if he's getting back to normal I'll know cuz the movement will trigger his eating response better than a lump of dead meat, you know?

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine generally look pathetic, too. It seems to last for about a week. Mine are eating, but are not really active. They will walk around if I take them outside, but generally just bask. The ones that were down the longest look the lumpiest.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juiced