• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Potty training

Diablo

5 Year Member
I've heard about some people being able to potty train their tegus. My question really is what age do most of you start training at and how exactly would you go about doing so? It puzzles me really how you would be able to potty train a hatchling tegu, if you really can't let them free roam out of their cage. Also it would be cool to hear peoples stories on how they trained their tegu to do other stuff.

HeatherN

many use the "warm water" method, where they keep them in the water until they poop, which doesn't take long. other tegus naturally pick a spot, and you put down newspaper or whatever. I've seen others gain success with walking their tegus in the backyard til they poop, or placing them on a bin when they do their poo poo dance. seems to be tons of different ways to do it, but they are all individuals.

Neeko

Keep an eye on your tegu and most will have a tell or a semi regular schedule and go off that to have supervised free roam time. =D

HeatherN

i started the potty training process today, he was scratching at the cage door, but i didn't let him out because this is his first day home, he continued to scratch until he went back a bit to poo. then he stopped trying to get out lol. so i have a feeling this guy won't be too tough, i took his poop and put it in his litter box, just to show thats where it goes. ^.^

Logie_Bear

Question to those of you that have your tegu on the "poop in the tub" routine-

Do morning hours or afternoon usually work better? I mean, are most tegus ready to do there biz after they wake up for the day, or does it usually take a couple hours before they're ready to go?

Just curious as to you guys may have noticed with your gus. :)

HeatherN

they can adjust their routine around you.

and just a general experience having to try to train my baby tegu, i put his first poop in his bin, he hasn't pooped anywhere since. easy enough! :p

I know there have been people saying you cannot potty train a tegu. I will debate all day with this comment. You sure can it just takes effort from both you and your tegu. My guy is already potty trained and he right now is 18 1/2 inches -211grams. My first recommendation is to pay close attention on when your tegu typically does to the bathroom. Tegus generally dont like to go to the bathroom in their own enclosure. They are much like humans when they go they want it gone fast ! I started to pay close attention to my guy and his habits. It started off clock work when I would take him out of his enclosure he would have to go to the bathroom within 10 minutes or so. They do have their own little dance but by the time they wiggle their butt it is pretty much too late lol. I usually get home about 3- so afternoon ish is his normal time when he goes to the bathroom. I never really did the water dish thing and it never worked for my guy since he is still trying to get use to his baths. Just taking him out and letting him roam on puppy pads worked for me. Now I have a black tub much like a cat little bin that is paper toweled. He goes into that every day and does not go in his enclosure still or does not have any oops. When he has to go he goes over to this tub and goes and does his buisness . Not ONE time has he missed this ! They are extremely smart creatures, very intelligent, you just need to work with them and bond with them :) Enjoy !

Derek Doel

My guy goes like clock work as well. He always goes late afternoon or early evening and for some reason he always goes below the kitchen table, better then on the carpet I guess

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu