• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Question about female tegus

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Maybe this is another silly question, but do females have infertile eggs similar to how beardies do?

I suppose they would have to, wouldn't they, in order for them to be fertilized at all? LOL - I'm clueless here...(secretly I'm hoping mine is a male so I don't have to deal with it hahaha)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've heard they will reabsorb the growing follicles if they aren't fertilized, but I also heard someone had a completely infertile clutch of Blue Tegu eggs last summer.

I'm sure Bobby will know better.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never seen or heard of an egg bound tegu, as Dave said they will absorb the follicles.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
Oh, ok. Thanks. That sounds much easier than dealing with beardies who lay infertile clutches.

Tegus can lay infertile clutches, they just don't get egg bound like beardies and iguanas.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We have a 2.5 year old female Beardie (at least I think she's a she!) who never laid eggs. She has a bin of CareFresh with a hide on the cool side just in case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu